Barnes or Hornady

LVJ76,
Didn't mean to let you hanging. No I don't have to use monos. However the advantage to them is the ability to use a lighter, faster bullet that will travel with less trajectory and loose less weight upon impact. Hence a bullet that should penetrate better, and expand and create lethal interior tissue damage for a quick, humane death of the quarry. This is my view of why to use mono bullets, not saying it's right or wrong.

i'm just glad to hear someone has a selling point...they are fine, but I cannot seem to understand the strategy with them.

I used to be a die hard cup core guy for everything. Then I realized not all
My rifles need the big heavies for long range. Then you realize after shooting a .257 bee with a 28" tube.
You can make your life simple by choosing a light fast bullet that requires no hold over for say 300 yards. The downfall with cup core is as you push them that fast they don't penetrate deep enough or retain weight. Hence where the monos really shine.
I always wanted a bullet that would do damage like a BT hunting but have the penetration like a partition. I found cutting edge Bullets. And they worked great. Then I found hammers even better.
I have not fired a single Barnes since finding those two bullets to be far superior.
Lead is still hard to beat for real long range stuff. Heck even the 6.5 creed does amazing and looses little speed to the monos. But each has a place and monos seem to help little rounds get the job done when the range is appropriate.

I used the Barnes TSX 168 gr for my 308 this last fall. Excellent accuracy. Shot both a buck and an bull elk and they dropped where they stood. Buck at 284 yards and bull elk at 280 yards.