Barnes and Varget

amtmn

I've been reloading .308 for a while now and was thinking of using Barnes XLC or Triple X to work up an elk load for next season.

Does anyone know if Varget can be used for a Barnes 180 grain in this caliber?

Also, is there any concern that Barnes causes excessive wear in the bore since its pure copper? Would XLC reduce this?

Thanks.

when i shot the barnes bullets in my .308 i used the 165g xlc with h4895.varget worked ok,but the 4895 just worked better.due to the construction [and personal experience]of that bullet i personally dont think the 180g is neccesary for elk[barnes even recomends dropping a bullet weight from what you would normally use or standard jacketed bullets].the coated 165g pills were right at 2900fps[a little warm in my rifle] and penetrated like crazy on a variety of game including elk out to 360yds.i never did find one,and exit wounds were about the size of a half dollar.they were a real pain in the *** to get to shoot,shot around 1" at 100yds,but at 300yds would group into around 1.5"-go figure.as far as barrel wear goes i doubt it would be anymore damaging than any other bullet,just fouls more[at least for me].if you can get them shoot at an accepable degree,you wont be dissapointed.my-2-dave

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.