Barnes 7mm 168gr LRX in 9.25 - anyone find success?

Diver160651

I searched but didn't really find anyone shooting sub MOA while loading 168grn LRX out of 7mm mag 1:9.25 barrel. Anyone achieve good results that can share with that twist ?

I need to use lead free in Ca's condor zone LOL-- and like the BC listed for LRX.

I have shot the lead free TTSX and find them really really finicky to get sub MOA in a several of my calibers (270,308,300WM). Seems for most charge weights all my uber accurate guns spit the copper Barnes all over until I find a tiny node. Even then, they don't shoot as well as match bullets. So I am not interested in going thru this for the 7mm rem mag. And was hoping the LRX might be better :)

not a 7 mm, but I shot the 175 LRH Barnes out of my 300 Win Mag (factory rifle) under 5/8". Seated them deep in the case and did not push them real hard. It was a first attempt and had loaded them for the Tikka (why they were deep in the case), but shot them in my Remmy and was so surprised I loaded up a bunch to hunt with this yr. I think I'm running them at about 2900fps

I have tried them in my 7mag with really bad results. 1:9.5 twist and the bullet will not stabilize. The bullet was key holing at 100 yds. I loaded up 20 rounds with H1000, Win primers and federal brass. I gave up after only 7 rounds as the bolt was stiff on extraction. I will stick with the 145gr LRX, my gun loves it. 63.5gr RL22 will produce a 5 shot group that I can cover with a quarter at 100 yds

I'm shooting a sendero in 7STW, with the 9.25 twist. I'm launching them about 3250 and keeping about 1/2-3/4 moa. (gun still shoots better than I do!) I quite like these bullets. Accurate, consistent, and they kill well! I've shot a coyote past 200 yards, a cow elk about the same, and a bull elk at about 300. My load is with retumbo, so I would suggest sticking with a slower powder like that, or H1000 with the 168 LRX. Have fun!!!

I've done some work with the long Barnes.

It is my belief that you won't stabilize the 168 LRX.

Drop back to any 150 and your golden.

I have given up trying to get the 168's to shoot in my gun. I have tried 2 powders, various brass and primers, all with the same result. I went back to the 145's and they shoot sub-moa all day

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.