Ballistics Software for hunt in SD

kustomkoatings

Hey Guys

I have been drawn for SD mule deer, I am going to take my 338 LM and I need to get things in order first order of buisness is getting a reliable ballistics program however I may already have it. I currently have Bullet Flight on my Iphone and back in June when I was prairie doggin up in S.D. where I will be mulie hunting I could not get my drops correct. @ 950 yards I could not get the program to give me the right dope. I tried to adjust velocity, temp, alt, to get me there and I just couldn't get it right. My dad could take his 6.5 and dail right up and smack the target no problem, everytime I would dial up using Bulletflight I was 6 or 8 clicks off. I am thinking about Exbal and putting it on a pocket p.c. Do you guys recommend Exbal or something similar over Bullet Flight or Iphone based apps. I wanna get a very reliable program and start to practice for my upcoming hunt. The owner of the lodge has watched my father and I shoot steel out to a 1000 when we have been out their for prarie dogs, and promised me a booner if I can shoot like that when out in the field.

Last edited:
I have heard bullet flight is good. My friend has a ballistic programme on his iTouch which I think is bullet flight. It works well.
To test it check it with JBM (free version on the net) plug the same info into both and check to see how they agree.
Common problems are using the wrong BC G1 or G7. If entering the pressure from your Kestrel etc set the altitude to zero.

Stu.

A ballistics program is not the easy button. I would figure out why your weren't getting the right numbers, most programs will put you very close out to 1000yrds ish if you give it good data and most important check that your scope is moving correctly and you have verified it's movement value.

I always go with Loadbase but Exbal is super popular also but I would guess that the program is not the main problem.

The guys on LRH are real good with ballistics and getting things line up, I've thrown out my numbers many times to have guys check them and help me get things lined out.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I used some of the online programs for a while when I first started and they just didn't work so I bought Loadbase and guess what I was off to so at that point I had to go to school on ballistics programs and how to feed them.
Have you verified your scope movement value? It takes some work to get the very best numbers to feed the ballistics program. Can you get it to give you an accurate drop for anything?

It may very well be the program, I don't fun it but a lot of guys do and the more popular programs out there will put you very close in the ranges your talking, if you we're talking 1500+ yards then that may be a different story.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.