Ballistic calculation - double check

BrentM

Would you guys be so kind to run some numbers for me? I am using Shooter but I want to see if other aps give the same result.

1500 yards
40F
60% humidity
25.12 absolute Baro P.
Angle 0
Wind 0

.313 G7
2970 fps
140 grain
zero 200
scope height 2.0
1:8 twist, right hand

MOA or even drop is fine. MOA prefered. I am retesting this weekend at 1500 and confirming if my scope is screwed up or not as well. I have 2 different number so far. Weird.

Well some scopes even though stated as 1/4 Moa may not be exactly 1/4. For example dialing one Moa may actually move your impact 1.050 instead of 1.047. Not really a big deal. What is important is to field verify your clicks. Then slightly adjust your velocity until your field clicks to proper impact match your chart clicks. Give me a bit to get home and ill run your numbers with my program. I trust it very much. Always accurate for me

I agree. However, my starting point info has to be solid. I had .70 MOA difference between the programs. I am pretty sure it has to due to with atmosphere at zero. My zero was at 26.42 and 35F, the online program does not take that into account.

No big deal about any of it, just thought it would be nice to confirm a few things. The shooter program has been dead on so far. Just trying to educate myself for the extended ranges, beyond 1000 for me. If the weather is good I am going to shoot around 1500 this weekend again. I am looking for my max effective reliable range. The goal is to verify something such a 12"x12" first round hits. Wolf size targets ; )

With your zero in that cold weather and higher pressure in warmer weather and lower pressure it should shoot slightly flatter ( less Moa). That what your program says??

Shooter and online take that into account except the good programs like g7 etc should all take zero conditions into account I would think. ??

For example if you zero at 2000 ft and 30F and got up to 7000 ft and 40F the bullet is going to perform way different, right? Now throw pressure into it and things change again. Shooter accounts for all these plus powder temp, spin drift, coriolis etc. I am pretty sure that all the good programs will give the same results. I am not looking at powder temp as I have yet to see any significant changes with Retumbo. I have shot at 10F at 4200 ft and 45F at 3200 ft and the bullets have been dead on with regard to the program results. I am seeing 44.8 MOA with this data.

I am hoping and assuming all good programs will show the same info but I don't have access to other programs. I

My calculator says 703.61" of drop and 44.80 MOA.

This program does not take into consideration the zero conditions either. How close is this to yours??

Posted that last one before reading your last post. So I guess 44.80 MOA is pretty close. I use the Berger ballistics program. Love it. Very very simple and so far has been very accurate. Retumbo is an "extreme" powder so temp is suppose to have very limited effects. All of the powders I use are extreme. Let me know how it all works out.

Yers and mine seem to be in agreement. LOL. Nice. 44.8MOA and 703.5"

Hornady is 45.5MOA. .7 MOA at the distance is 10.5".

If it all works out I will let it rip this weekend on a rock and maybe get lucky and see another black wolf, a dumb one that will stand still.

Wow. I got curious and ran the same ballistics for me since I'm getting pretty much the same speed. Shooting exact load you are. But I'm at 600 ft elevation. To get to 1500 yards it'll take me 52.18 Moa. That's a huge difference. The drop for me is 819.52". That's 116" difference. You must be high up there. What elevation are you at?? I don't know if ill have enough turret to get there or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts