Balistic software oddity

4xforfun

I was goofing off with my Shooter App, which I have had for a long time, when I noticed something strange. Now, I have been under the immpression that the colder the air the denser it becomes. When the temps get colder, all else being equal, the LR impacts should be lower, requiring MORE MOA dial up when it is colder. This is backward to what my Shooter app tells me.

I ran the following numbers through both my Shooter app and My infinity I6 programs. I used pretty much all the same input numbers that I could, and the ONLY thing I changed was the temp input.

I used my 210 Berger at 2950 FPS. 300 yard zero. I turned off the coriolis and spin drift on the Shooter app. Again, the ONLY imput I changed was the external temp,and I tried to match up every thing else.

Infinity I6:

0 degrees F 22.1 MOA low at 1K
100 degrees F 20.4 moa low at 1K

Shooter app

0 degrees F 21.1 MOA low at 1K
100 degrees F 21.4 MOA low at 1K

I have a couple dozen bullets loaded into my shooter app, and I checked out a few of the entries. SAME THING. The ONLY input I changed was the external temp, and ALL showed LESS drop in COLDER temps, all else being equal.

Does this seem right to you?

Thanks,
Tod

No Answers yet? Ill take a quick stab at this. My shooter app does the same. It may be because I have it set to accept DA and not individual inputs. When air temp changes, DA changes too. If you change the temp in the program but do not alter the DA number to reflect the change, you are getting a reading that does not reflect the true DA. That's just my guess.

No Answers yet? Ill take a quick stab at this. My shooter app does the same. It may be because I have it set to accept DA and not individual inputs. When air temp changes, DA changes too. If you change the temp in the program but do not alter the DA number to reflect the change, you are getting a reading that does not reflect the true DA. That's just my guess.
I'm rolling with you on this one. I had seen this and just couldn't figure how to explain it easily.
I used to drag race a lot and DA is very complex stuff. Fudge anything and it really whacks stuff out.
Stuff like this is why I shoot and check dope as often as possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.