Backup handgun for surprise close hunting situations.

Unless you are in a state with griz I would feel under gunned with a 10mm. Even then I am not sure I would have a problem taking it as my backup.
I'd feel undergunned with a 44 magnum. With it, I'd only get off a round maybe two in a fast close up situation. Of those two, maybe zero hits on target. That's under gunned to me. Everyone has a different definition of under gunned obviously.

Last edited:
Understand. I've learned that Colt Delt chambers don't fully encase the cartridge making it less tolerable to full house loads. Anyway any load that comes close to 1400 FPS with that bullet is a heavy hitter
As much as I love the 1911, I'm not sure if use +P+ loads in it all the time. My Colt delta elite 10mm needed alot of work after shooting full house 10mm loads thru it exclusively. My G20, never any issues with it.

Howdy. You spark my interest. What's smokin hot.Over 1400FPS. What powder? Long shot? Blue Dot? Can you share your loads? Tolerable pressure?
I use 12.5 grains of AA#9 with 200 grain bullets. About 1150 over the chrony with a G20 5 inch barrel. The G40 has a 6 inch barrel which will add about a 100fps. If something has to be stopped my 44 Mag comes out.

I use 12.5 grains of AA#9 with 200 grain bullets. About 1150 over the chrony with a G20 5 inch barrel. The G40 has a 6 inch barrel which will add about a 100fps. If something has to be stopped my 44 Mag comes out.
Ive just put together a load using Lehigh XD 150 copper bullets using 11.0 Blue Dot in my 5" Kimber. LABRADAR says its close to 1300 FPS. The bullets explained are sure interesting. Low recoil with massive wound channel and lots of penetration. Heavy lead bullets maybe not needed for performance??

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.