Back With A New Tikka T3 Tactical 300 WM

Perkules

Howdy, it´s been a while.

After my Sako TRG-S stock finally broke in pieces (338 LM, about 700 rounds and it was a nightmare most of the time anyway as some of you may recall) I stepped down a bit with these plastic things, caliber-wise.

Enter T3 Tactical, a trainer friend of mine has used one for a year or so. Lots of accuracy for the money, I must say. I´ve had this rifle for about a month but I´ve been busy working,touring with a rock band. About 250 rounds through it by now.

Tikkarain.jpg

It has a Karl Kaps 2.5 - 10 x 56 scope on it. Pretty good one as well, you can get any custom dial drum you like for it. 300 WM goes up to 800 meters so it´s not exactly long but it´s long for me. The rest is done with holdover reticle, also custom. This is actually a sniper scope but it works very well for my purpose which is 300 - 500 meter moose.

The following pics are with too high Optilock scope mounts that I had at first and a muzzle brake, I got the suppressor ASAP to make this rifle even better. Yep, the scope was canted a little but I got lower mounts the following day and then it went straight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

400view.jpg

Looks good this far, very accurate stuff.

Kaps.jpg

Kapsclose.jpg

Kapsthrough400.jpg

Here is a three round group at 400 meters, about 27 mm with Hornady 190 Interlock... Usually it shoots 55 mm or so at 400 m, three shots, any round really, even factory stuff. Five rounds stay under 80 mm, I don´t really get this because my serious load development hasn´t even started yet - a new caliber to me. I use Forster Ultra dies, Vihtavuori N 560 powder and most of the loads have been very good. N 165 should be better. 215 primers, of course.

400group.jpg

An IPSC target at 400 meters, five shots from a cold,clean barrel -168 MK:s as well:

168matchkinghead.jpg

You can see that white patch at 400 meters with this scope without problems. I´m waiting for the illuminated dot for the dark, it is supposed to be a dim, tiny one. Up here in Finland we hunt in quite dark conditions quite often. This scope is a prototype,I´m kind of testing it. I won´t give it back - except for the illumination and the custom drum (s) / reticle hehe.

Here is a "bad" one, a three round cloverleaf at 400 meters, 168 MK:

boltbreaking2.jpg

And as you can see, the plastic dust cover of the bolt is breaking as well, after about 200 rounds. No idea why but I´ll get a new one without problems from Sako, it may be an unnoticed problem from the pressure test shooting. **** plastic in a wrong place... otherwise this accuracy and overall functionality is very good to me, bipod on cartop.

And the barrel didn´t blow up either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

This rifle was supposed to replace my TRG-S for 400-500 meter moose stuff. It was a piece of cake right from the scratch with Woodleigh 200 grain Weldcore or any quality big game bullet really. I´m shooting claybirds at 400 all the time with big game bullets , even factory Sako Super Hammerheads. But I don´t need / have longer ranges for moose, this may get very interesting after I find good 150 grain target loads and a longer range to shoot. Yes,this is not a BR rifle but a **** good all pupose hunting one anyway.

Sorry for my absence, summer up here is always like this - no time for "Net Life".

Glad to see the board is doing fine. I gathered tons of info from here when I found this place a couple of years ago. Special thanks for those Matchkings, Dave.

Rock on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

58popedalahti.jpg

hi, i was thinking of getting the same rifle with same caliber. I'm a bit worried about the plastic chunks comming off the bolt. think it could be a big problem? i cant be sending teh bolt back to Sako thru stoeger every month or every other month. i'd use the rifle 3 times a year, and to me thats unacceptable

thx in advance
Marc

[ QUOTE ]
hi, i was thinking of getting the same rifle with same caliber. I'm a bit worried about the plastic chunks comming off the bolt. think it could be a big problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello.

I got two plastic dust covers yesterday from Sako... they should not be breaking for ANY reason because they take no stress at all, no matter what - unless you blow up an insane overload and some gases may leak backwards when the primer says goodbye. It must be one of those infamous "material faults" or just a problem that occurred at pressure test shooting, whatever.

Another possibility is a certain copper removal foam that I´ve been using, maybe it has harmed the material... dunno really... Will check, I´ll keep you posted. But those pieces falling... it doesn´t matter at all, it has nothing to do with shooting or safety really. It just looks strange to have a new rifle and watch tiny plastic pieces falling hehe.

A very good shooter anyway - this is NOT a common fault, my trainer friend has tons of experience with these rifles and he was very surprised about this.

How much did you pay for it in finland? I Checked my local gunstore and the guy, who has the best prices in eastern Canada im pretty sure, says he could get it for 1700 CDN$. And when people say the action is smooth, they are totally wrong, it's FLAWLESS.Nothing to do with that sendero i checked while i was there. Anyways, enough rambling, thanks for answering my concerns

[ QUOTE ]
How much did you pay for it in finland?

[/ QUOTE ]

About twice the US price. Yeah, I know it makes no sense but that´s the way it is.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
**** thats between 2500-3000$ US! Holy bejesus!And here i tought us canadians were overpaying for firearms stuff!

Unfortunately nowhere in the US have I been able to locate any heavy bbl Tikka's other than in 223,22-250 or 308. I would gladly pay a few extra $$ for a 300 win and a 6.5 Swede heavy barrel T3.

My Heavy bbl 308 Tikka is a phenomenal rifle. Now I want a bigger caliber. For the price of Tikka's it just not make sense to go the Rem 700 route. They need to import more calibers in the T3 Tactical/Varmint line.

ya i feel you
i guess tikka didnt feel the need to put bigger calibers on a rifle made for small critters, and the tactical comes in .223, .308 .300WM wich are the calibers used in today's LE agencies
Personnaly i feel that the .300wm is a nice caliber with tons of support if you want to reload.
I guess if you want bigger you'll have to get a TRG-22/42

Welcome back,
You've had your share of problems with the TRG-S, could you fill me in on the circumstances that led up to the catastrophic stock failure?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifThanks, Festus

Hi Petander. Great looking rifle!
I have a few questions for you if you dont mind:)
How much does this rifle cost in Finland?
Were does one get a surpressor like the one you have? Price and type? Can you give me a link to a store that has the rifle for sale and also the surpressor.
Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Ingi..........

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.