B&C Leupold Question

SL3

Ok Folks I'm new here. I have a question that I hope that at least one of you can answer. I have the Boon & Crocket Reticle on one of my hunting rifles and would simply like to know the power value of the smaller triangle on the scope. I am very familiar with the system and how it works, so that is not the question here. I only wish to know the value so I can use my own ballistic calculator to make some adjustments depending on the area I'm hunting (weather, altitude etc.). The larger triangle is 8X because it is stamped right there on the power selector ring like it should be. The next given value going down is 5X and then 4X and then 2.5X. The small triangle sits between the 5X and the 8X. I would guess it is 6X or 6.5X, but would like to be sure so I could use my own ballistic program to check it with. I called Leupold and even the guy helping me was perplexed when he could not seem to find an answer when searching through the engineering specifications. It amazes me that Leupold would give you the power value for the large triangle but not the smaller one. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Last edited:
All I could find in my manual was listed drops when on small delta.With 200 zero.300=8.61,400=25.13,450=36.87,500=51.18.You can compare this to your ballistic program.

Take the large bullet drop and divide by the SBD of every value [from DV's link posted above], and that will give you the percentage of magnification change and avg. magnification change [by multiplying that value by 8 power] since subtension is inversely proportional to magnification. I've never quite trusted the magnification markings on the Leupold power rings though--since the range estimating systems are a bit off for power calculations. They're actually never perfect though since actual magnification and the marked magnification is not exact. The calcs are usually very close though...somehow.

Thanks sscoyote I will try that. I also heard from a friend that Leupold fudges the numbers on their scopes in some sort of effort to make them seem clearer than their competitors, not sure if it's true but makes since. The same friend told me that there was some sort of chart that you can use to put your scope on to check the power. Have you ever heard of such a chart that when looking through your scope at a certain yardage you can compare the circle or some sort of symbol in the reticle to see what power your at. If so where can you get that chart?

I have heard of such a system for calculating actual magnification, but i don't know what it is, sorry sir! I have adjusted the magnification [and consequently subtension] on a buddies 2.5-8x VX-III [Duplex reticle], and the subtension did match the trajectory curve dead on the nose though. This using only an estimated [from factory spec actually] muzzle velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.