B-78 long range rifle

elkaholic

I need some input (pros and cons) on a b-78 rifle. I have a chance to buy a nice one in '06 heavy round barrel. I plan on using my reamer which increases case capacity by 11%. I'm quite sure i can make close to 3100fps with a 180 gr. Someone told me that you are limited to a 40mm scope but there must be aftermarket stuff that would increase that? Also, i'm guessing they had a 10 twist. Is that correct? A friend of mine owned one in '06 and it would shoot 1/2" consistently. Please advise.......rich

I need some input (pros and cons) on a b-78 rifle. I have a chance to buy a nice one in '06 heavy round barrel. I plan on using my reamer which increases case capacity by 11%. I'm quite sure i can make close to 3100fps with a 180 gr. Someone told me that you are limited to a 40mm scope but there must be aftermarket stuff that would increase that? Also, i'm guessing they had a 10 twist. Is that correct? A friend of mine owned one in '06 and it would shoot 1/2" consistently. Please advise.......rich

These are fine rifles and with a little work they can be made to shoot.

I bed the fore arm to the tang and then float the barrel and that seams to work .

The 3006 was a 1 in 10 twist and will work well as long as the barrel is a good one.

Winchester now makes the high wall and you should be able to find rings and bases
for it (1885) that will fit on the B 78 and go with larger and higher rings.

J E CUSTOM

J e custom.....thanks for your reply. Since i posted this thread i have found two sites that listed the b-78 in '06 at a 12' twist. Are you sure about the 10 twist??.........rich

J e custom.....thanks for your reply. Since i posted this thread i have found two sites that listed the b-78 in '06 at a 12' twist. Are you sure about the 10 twist??.........rich

The one I had was but they (Factory) have been known to change during a production
run.

The best thing to do is check it with a cleaning rod and a tight patch by pushing it almost all
the way through the barrel, make a mark on the cleaning rod that will match something on
the action, pull it back untill the mark comes back around and measure from the mark to the
spot on the action and it should tell you what you have.

If it is 1 in 12 it may not like the heavy bullets.

J E CUSTOM

I plan on doing the cleaning rod test tonight when i go to take a look at it. In case anybody is interested, he also has a nice 22-250 with oct. barrel. He is asking $1100 for it.....Rich

This rifle does indeed have a 12 twist. Berger recommends a 12 twist with the 185 vld's and an 11 for the 210's. Maybe I can get away with a 12 after all?:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.