AZ Unit 5A Late rifle

kstitz

So I drew this tag and have never been to the area. I am thinking about dirving down there next week just to get a feel for the area. I am used to hunting off horse but this does not look like a horseback hunt. Anybody have any advice on where to start?

K, what hunt, bull, cow, archery, rifle, muzzloader, early, late? What hunt number? There is a big difference! The elk migrate at certain times and some stay put, depends on which part of the unit. I can call a cousin who lives very close to 5A if you like.

Late rifle. Any info would be great.

Missed "late rifle" on the title, sorry. Hunt number 3013? Called cousin, waiting for a response. Elk migrate to adjoining units when snow flies. Cousin can give me some good info. Will reply as soon as he responds. I have the Az OnX on my GPS, its very accurate and a huge asset for areas I'm not familiar with. Used it last Friday on a day trip looking at a deer hunt unit we're interested in.

Weather plays big part of elk location and migration on the late hunts. Get as much info as you can, boots on the ground if possible, and be prepared to move if you are not finding elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.