AZ Fatal Black Bear Attack

lancetkenyon

Unprovoked Arizona bear mauls, kills man drinking his morning coffee: police | Fox News

Very rare occurrence. Black bear mauling results in death in AZ.

Black bears populations are exploding in lot of areas. Bad interactions are increasing. This one is really perplexing since no food, no cubs, just building house drinking coffee. Seems pure predatory attack which is not normally associated with black bears. They do lead the pack in attacks but also have the most opportunity due to high human contact. Horrible way to die.

Makes you reconsider self protection.

I hunted with a guy that hunted AK for close to 20 years spring bear bait.Was hard get a gun threw Canada so no side arms.We hit 4-6 sites a day.I jogged in with pack frame, came up on bear once. He walked up on many over his time, many 7' bears, one sleeping on bait.They ran off. Ive treed many a black bear just walking up on it, had them puffing and popping there teeth at me.

My fear of the bear might not be completely irrational.

Was told decades ago - if a griz attacks its territorial - if a black bear attacks its food (for bear). Then there is the baby bear component.
Suburbs having paved roads, cement sidewalks, and plastic garbage carts have bears. I never leave the house without the 1911 - old, dated weapon but having great familiarity.

My fear of the bear might not be completely irrational.

Was told decades ago - if a griz attacks its territorial - if a black bear attacks its food (for bear). Then there is the baby bear component.
Suburbs having paved roads, cement sidewalks, and plastic garbage carts have bears. I never leave the house without the 1911 - old, dated weapon but having great familiarity.
My wife has what I consider an irrational fear of black bears, too.

My take is that with the internet we hear about every single fatal or even serious incident, but we don't hear about the millions of interactions between humans and blackies that DONT result in a death.
Black Bears attacking a human is extremely rare. I obviously have no idea what happened in this instance, but you're probably way more likely to get hit by lightning than killed by a black bear.