Awesome old hunting pix !!!

Those are great. I really enjoy seeing those old photos. Here's a few of mine. These are of my grandfather and some of his friends. They lived in Ontario Canada. Every fall they would travel by vehicle, then train, the train would let them off at some place where they would be met by a guy with horse/sled/wagon to take them into the woods where there was a few cabins they rented for the trip and they hunted the area around the cabins. At least that's how I've heard the stories. I think these were from the 30's / 40's??? From the photos it looks like they had a good time!

Resizeofscan0004cropresize.jpg

Resizeofscan0003cropresize.jpg

Resizeofscan0001cropresize.jpg

Resizeofscan0002cropresize.jpg

Resizeofscan0006cropresize.jpg

Resizeofscan0005cropresize.jpg

Cool pics. It's interesting how the convetional wisdom seems to have changed over time. In all these pics the deer are hung with their head up and they were gutted with a small slit. These days deer seem to bemostly hung by their hind legs and are gutted with a cut from anus to sternum.

Especially like the pic of the guy with the cigarette in his mouth and the bottle of bourbon in his hand.

Last edited:
Especially like the pic of the guy with the cigarette in his mouth and the bottle of bourbon in his hand.

Ya, I agree with you on that. It's fun on occassion to go through these old photos and think what it was like hunting back then.

Interesting comment on how they used to clean the animal vs today. The small slit certainly would have helped keep the animal clean. And by the looks of things, cooling the animal wasn't any issue. Gotta wonder what they'd think if they were to see the gutless method.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.