My Old Alaska Hunt Pictures

Many years ago we were several miles away from our base camp and we had a couple of moose down and it was getting late. We were not looking forward to spending the night away from camp even though we are always prepared for that eventuality. Traveling off trail is allowed in order to retrieve game and traveling across unfamiliar terrain after dark is asking for trouble and skinning and gutting two moose would definitly end up well after sunset. Well we scratched our heads a little and decided that we could lift a whole moose high enough to back one of the buggies under it and drive it back to the trail so that we could make our way back to camp after dark. This is one of those moose getting ready to load.

Gus
1291855045_2006_hunt_137.jpg

I really enjoy your pictures.

Moose hunting, moose buggies, camp for a month, Alaska...pretty cool.

Well I haven't posted any pictures yet this month so I thought that I'd include a couple of pics of other buggies that we encounter on our hunting trips. The first pic is of some old school buggies, they are old GMC military 6x6s that were cut down to 4x4s that have been modified so that they can articulate over the rough terrain and run C-130 tires with chains. The lead buggy had been in use for over 20 years at the time this picture was taken. The second is a retired oilfield rig, Detroit Diesel powered and running on 66 x 43 Terra Tires.

Gus

1258925543_1992_barf_camp0027.jpg

1298014519_img_0035.jpg

Your pix are always outstanding and incredible !

Thanks so much again for sharing them with all of us , we could fall everybody in love with Alaska if we were not already !

Been there for vacation many years ago , you are really a very lucky man to live in that heaven .

PP out

Wow - great photos. I tried to draw a moose tag this year but didn't have any luck. Looks like you're a moose expert for sure.

Those buggys are awesome. Did you say you make them? Is there somewhere I could see more about them?

Loved all the photo's! My dream is to make it up there "some day" to hunt!

Are you cutting them in half with a hand saw of some type? I have an idea!lightbulb I would imagine you folks take a small to medium size chain saw or two with you to camp. Keep one or two as wood saws for firewood or clearing downed trees etc, but keep a third on in the buggies that is a dedicated "meat saw" Instead of bar oil in it, use luquid cooking oil and take a gallon jug or two on your trip with you. The chainsaw would make quick work of splitting a moose down the spine, and the cooking oil will not contaminate the meat! What do you think? I've heard of folks/outiftters that used that trick on elk down near the Gardiner Montana area on the late elk hunts. I don't know why that would not work and work very well for you!! If I draw a BISON tag, I'm going to take a saw set up just for that purpose to assist in the quartering of such a huge animal.

Keep the photo's coming!!
David

Loved all the photo's! My dream is to make it up there "some day" to hunt!

Are you cutting them in half with a hand saw of some type? I have an idea!lightbulb I would imagine you folks take a small to medium size chain saw or two with you to camp. Keep one or two as wood saws for firewood or clearing downed trees etc, but keep a third on in the buggies that is a dedicated "meat saw" Instead of bar oil in it, use luquid cooking oil and take a gallon jug or two on your trip with you. The chainsaw would make quick work of splitting a moose down the spine, and the cooking oil will not contaminate the meat! What do you think? I've heard of folks/outiftters that used that trick on elk down near the Gardiner Montana area on the late elk hunts. I don't know why that would not work and work very well for you!! If I draw a BISON tag, I'm going to take a saw set up just for that purpose to assist in the quartering of such a huge animal.

Keep the photo's coming!!
David

We used to use various hand saws to cut the moose in half but we now use a Milwaukee Sawzall to cut them in half. I've got more pictures to post but right now we are in the middle of getting ready to head out on our annual hunting trip.

Gus

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.