Athlon Ares or Midas in 4.5-27 power ?

mobenzowner

There is obviously the FFP vs SFP debate, but the Midas is about $250 cheaper. Is the glass an internals better on the ARES or is the main price difference due to the Midas being SFP? I really don't care much between FFP or SFP, I like and use both. But if the ARES has better glass that does matter to me as well as repeatable tracking. Really appreciate advice from anyone in the know.

I haven't messed with the Midas much, but I have 2 Ares in MIL and like them quite a lot. Track well and no correction factor needed as per tall target tests.

If you are getting a MIL version, it's a matter of SFP vs FFP to me. Whichever you prefer, both reticles are acceptable. If you are going MOA, I'd choose the Ares hands down because of the reticle choice alone. Midas line does not offer a HORUS style reticle in the MOA versions. I much prefer them.

If I was looking to buy an Athlon right now, I'd be headed for Cabelas. The original Cronus is on sale for $999, I think that's $800 off. I have 2 of the newer Cronus BTR'S and they are by far my favorite scopes.

If the Cronus is that cheap get it. It's an insanely nice scope.

The main difference between the ares and Midas is one the ares is FFP and two the ares has roughly 40 more MOA in vertical adjustment which is a huge selling point. I own two Argos, two ares, and one Cronus. The Argos get the job done, the ares are excellent scopes, and the Cronus is up there with vortex razor, tactical luepolds, and nightforce.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.