ATF FFL Transfer Question

JimD

Deep in my synapses, I remember being told of a "limit"
to how many FFL transfers (transferring a purchased firearm to oneself)
one could make in a given period of time.

No more than two (2) within a 7 day period?
Or... no more than three (3) within a 30 day period?
Or... whatever, I don't remember, but SOME kind of "transfers per number of days" limit.

ACTUALLY... breaking it down here:

It wasn't that there was an actual "limit".
You could transfer ever how many you wanted.

But if it was over the ATF "parameter", the FFL had to forward an additional form to the ATF,
informing (ALERTING?!?!?!) them of a "high volume" buyer.

Yeah, don't that sound great.
Now you're on some kind of an ATF watch list, just because you jumped on a 4th of July or Black Friday sale and bought a bunch of guns you had been drooling over.

Does anybody KNOW of this "parameter"?
What it is?
And the name or the number of the ATF form?

I'm not in the market for guessing or speculation,
but I would LOVE to hear from anybody who KNOWS the true down and dirty about this particular ATF policy (or rule, whatever).

Thanks a million to anybody who does!

JamesD

I know what you are talking about. I googled and found this:
Federal law defines a "multiple sale" as the sale of two or more guns to the same purchaser within five business days.
But that doesn't say anything about reporting requirements.

Then I found this:
Federal law does not limit the number of guns a person may buy in any given time period. However, federal law does require federal firearm licensees ("FFLs") to report multiple sales of handguns to ATF and other specified law enforcement agencies. This reporting requirement was created to enable law enforcement to "monitor and deter illegal interstate commerce in pistols and revolvers by unlicensed persons," though there is no federal requirement that law enforcement actually investigate illegal trafficking.

In addition, because long guns have become Mexican cartels' "weapons of choice," in 2011 ATF began requiring FFLs in four states along the Mexican border (Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Texas) to report multiple sales of certain semiautomatic rifles. More specifically, the reporting requirement applies to semiautomatic rifles with a caliber greater than .22 and the ability to accept a detachable magazine. FFLs who are dealers or pawnbrokers must report to ATF whenever they sell or transfer two or more such weapons to the same person at one time or during any five consecutive business days.

I have a 0-1 FFl. If you buy 2 or more handguns at once or in the same week
I have to file a multiple purchase form with them and the local sheriff.
Not an option! Just wait a week and I'll not say a word! I order 5 or 6 to resale
and don't have to report them. On paper I'm buying as a business and not a private
owner..

Thanks EVERYbody.
OK, so lissen...

What do they say in the military? No battle plan survives the first engagement with the enemy.

I thought I wrote a fairly clear OP.
But good replies always point out the "holes" in your OP.

So...
Let me add and clarify:

- I am not an FFL

- I live in Georgia (i.e., not along the Mexican border)

- I am buying a number of bolt action "actions" (i.e., not semi-auto rifles OR handguns)

I just had a chance to get a crazy discount
(military + "volume" = the guy just offered me one SWEET deal)
on some bolt "actions" from one of the premier Remington 700 action manufacturers,
and so I just got me a few at a good price.

But then, just before these things are about to be ready to ship,
I remembered SOMETHING about this multiple purchase thing.
And DON'T want to complicate my life vis a vis the Feds.

So for KyCarl or ANYbody, I guess my questions are something like:
- does the multiple purchase thing apply just to handguns? or bolt "actions" as well?
- do I need to get the manufacturer to dribble them out to my FFL?
- or can HE send any number TO the FFL no problemo,
it's just the transfers that need to be dribbled out?
- and... what is the "rate of dribbling" that I need to go by to avoid any "volume issue"?

My great thanks to y'all's help on this.

JamesD

P.S. And before anybody says this, yes I could, and I will, ask my FFL about this before this all comes together, but... I just prefer to get clear and sure about it in my on mind first.

It will only apply to handguns. And even with the multiple sale report being filed it does not stop a person from buying as many handguns or firearms as they want. There is no limit to the amount a person can buy. SW border states file multiple sales reports for "assault rifles". Again it does not stop a person from buying as many as they want.

Hey guys.

In addition to your help here, I've been digging as best I can on this end.

And, yep, everything seems to agree that, aside from all the southern border stuff that they have put in place to try to control that insane situation, the basic multiple transfer reporting issue pertains only to handguns.

I just wanted to get clear on it.

Thanks to everyone willing to contribute to my question.

JamesD

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.