Armscor Ammo?

Colorado Luckydog

I just bought a Montana Rifle Company 7 MM Mag. It is equipped with a Leupold VX-6 3-18x50. The zero stop and the rifle are setup for shooting Armscor 160 Grain Accubond. I only have 3 1/2 boxes of the Armscor ammo and can't find anymore. Does anyone know if they quit making it or is it just part of the "shortage"? I sent Armscor an email but I'm still waiting to hear back from them. The other question I have is, what is the process for getting the scope switched over to another ammo? I know it needs to go back to Leupold but I'm not sure what information they will need with the scope. I apologize for being so green! Any help is appreciated.

Are you saying the scope has a bullet drop compensating (CDS- custom dial system as they call it) turret based off the Armscor ammo ballistics and certain environmental conditions?
And you may need another turret in case you cannot get any more of that ammo?
If that's the case then they do not require you to send the scope in, go to their website-punch in the correct data-and order it.

My recommendation would be to also get a regular MOA turret as well and learn to use it, then you won't ever have to worry about this again. Plus you will actually learn to use your equipment and not just hit the "easy button".
Good luck with your new adventure!

The Leupold CDS turret is not specific to that Armscor ammo, but of the ballistics associated with a 160 gr Accubond (with xxx BC) at the muzzle velocity it produces and whatever environmental conditions assumed (temp, altitude, etc).

Easily replicated by handloading. Find a friend or custom load shop.

Else you'll need to find different ammo, and have a new dial rebuilt based off those specs - if you want to stick with the CDS turrets. I would never use the velocity printed on the box. Shoot over a chronograph to determine the actual MV.

Last edited:
I just watched Leupold's video on ordering the dial. It's not near as complicated as I thought it would be. So, I might be switching ammo anyway. I just have to keep doing homework and asking questions. Due to some recent health issues, I have some time to figure things out.

Stammster is right, even if you have a different type of ammo and it is close to the performance of the Armscor, your BDC (or Leupold CDS) turret will probably work out to some decent distances. This can at least get you started, or you may find you don't need another. You can download a ballistic app or find a free one online and try different loads and see.
You can also make your own really cheap, I use blue masking tape and a black sharpie. There are also professionally done tapes that more resemble label makers you can order (needs same info a BDC turret would, and turret dimensions) in case you have a major change in environmentals.

Also since you self admitted you are green, I suggest you do some reading on external ballistics. Dialing for elevation is the easy part of long range shooting.
Understanding the effects and correcting for wind is equally or more important.

Last edited: