Arizona Unit 6A

Gstew1930

Headed to Arizona in 2.5 weeks for my elk hunt. I've don't quite a bit of E scouting but coming from Texas it's hard to put boots on the ground. I've got some spots I think should produce some elk. I'm wondering if anyone can see if I'm looking in the right direction or can offer me some advice. PM me instead of responding to the thread if you, any information is helpful. Thank you for your time

Plan on staying, the entire 7 Day season, IF weather is,.. "Bad".
I wore my self out, four years ago ( Dec. 2018 IIRC ) scouting my Area for, Late season Elk starting, the day before the season and then Hunting the next 3 Days of the season, due to about, a Foot or, more of Snow ( Wished I'd of skipped the first 3 Days then Hunted Day 4 to Day 7 ).
I ended up taking, a smaller Bull than I wanted, But, the Meat was GOOD !
DON'T wear yourself out, by trudging thru Deep snow, guys !
Four Days of trudging thru, a Foot to, foot and a Half deep snow, in the Mountains, wears you out and ANY Bull, starts to,.. "Look Good" !
Unit 6A has, a LOT of Elk,.. IF, you can find them But, the bigger Bulls will be HIDDEN away, in remote Canyons after, the Rut !
Try Sunny South, Slopes ( Near the Top of, Ridges) and Deep, remote Canyons,.. Good Luck

Last edited:
The easy accessible units in AZ can be tough on those general bull hunts. I like getting into the wilderness areas on those particular hunts, because you know some group isn't on the other side of the canyon in a side by side, on a road you didn't even know existed lol.

The bull I ended up getting

Attachments

• 8A1A78E9-3E97-41C8-A4B1-5E7C1A6BB35D.jpeg
    8A1A78E9-3E97-41C8-A4B1-5E7C1A6BB35D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 114