Arizona Elk

McMillan

<strong>Official Sponsor of LRH</strong>
I drew what is normally considered a great hunt in Arizona, Unit 22S on an early elk hunt. There were only 30 tags issued for this unit and we hunted the week starting the day after Thanksgiving. The first four days we hunted primarily the Mazatzal Mountains. Starting out at 4200 ft and climbing to about 5500 ft it was tough going. The daytime temps were in the mid 70's which kept the elk at the very top of the mountains. Day five we switched locations and saw several bulls worth considering. The weather report was for freezing rain and possible snow the next day so we decided that we needed to shoot a bull even if wasn't the monster we were hoping to get on camera. I shot a decent 6x6 at 780 yards using a McMillan EOL Outdoorsman in 338 Lapua. I was shooting a 300 gr Berger VLD at 2750. It's amazing what that combination with .818 BC and 5037 ft.lbs of energy will do.

Attachments

• B & K.JPG
    B & K.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 130
The weather report was for freezing rain and possible snow the next day so we decided that we needed to shoot a bull

A bird in the hand is worth a lot more than a truck off the side of the mountain is what I always say.

Nice job!

I had the 22S September muzzleloader tag. I ended up with a 290" gross 6x7 on the last afternoon shot off a wallow. I was within range a couple times of an absolute beast but could never get a clean shot. I and my cousin got great video of him. As perfect as they come. Perfect in line 7x7 with exceptionally long main beams, average mass and long tine length. We guess he would have been every bit of 370 and he was most likely 380-390. I know that is a huge jump from 370 to possibly 390, he was a bull you just knew you would kill with ANY tag, in ANY unit, with ANY weapon, in ANY season. We never saw a single other hunter! Great bulls in great country with NO competition! I cant imagine the area we were in ever getting much pressure as there were several VERY mature bulls in a small area. There were some bulls with bodies that were just incredible. They had shoulders that looked like moose shoulders with some very healthy racks. Only one exceptional bull though. The next best bull was a solid 330 bull that would have been 340+ if he were symetrical.

Congrats!

M

We saw Somme goods ones, but none the size of the monster you saw. Maybe next time I get drawn. Congrats on your elk.

My cousin in Payson who found this bull before the hunt posted some short clips of him on youtube (see link below). His right saber is missing a few inches. I saw him a few times before he broke it. I also watched the fight that broke it from 1/2 mile.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpdZZPkZUaY]Brutus The Bull - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry if I hijacked your thread!

Congrats again.

M

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts