Arizona Unit 10 - Guide or DYI? I have a couple days to scout

ThorThor

Looking for advice on Arizona Unit 10. I got extremely lucky and drew the tag in the random draw. I took two weeks vacation already so I have some time to get out about four days early and scout. I have been reading a lot of people use a guide since this is once in 24/25 year draw with max points. I don't really have the cash for a guide but do not want to waste this awesome tag either, looking for opinions. Thanks

It really depends on what your expectations are. If you're going for a trophy (82+ inch buck, B&C), then I'd hire a guide. This tag usually takes 17-19 years as a resident to draw. My friend had 18 points this year and didn't draw it. So you have basically won the lottery. I wouldn't waste this tag. If you are ok with just a decent buck (70 inches or so), then I'd be sure to take a week off before the hunt and show up to get familiar with the unit. 10 has a lot of antelope, and finding them isn't hard (unless you're blind). Finding the big ones can prove tough though, if you don't have the time. So if I was in your shoes, I'd either hire a guide, or take an entire week off before your hunt begins, and scout hard. Don't waste this tag. It could take you 25+ years to get this opportunity again. Congrats you lucky bugger. Good luck on your hunt!

First off, congrats!!!! You hit the non-resident lottery.... you should probably go get some powerball tickets as well.

https://huntbigboranch.com Not a bad place to start but if I ever draw a tag like this I'm cashing in everything I got to get a guide and try to reach the full potential of the unit.

Drawing Unit 10 and not taking a guide and shooting the first legal buck would probably be akin to shooting a forkhorn mule deer on the AZ Strip or in the Henry Mountains... just to provide some context.

But-- your tag, your hunt-- do as you see fit and have the means to do.

I did a DIY Coues hunt last year and had a blast... and tagged a 3x3 with eye guards on opening day. But I drove cross country from Kentucky and planned to spend the whole season in the field if needed.... and it wasn't cheap. Id consider a guide and flying in.

Either way-- congrats again and best of luck, can't wait to hear about the hunt!!!

while I have harvested a large antelope. I am not great at field judging them. beside not knowing the area also field judging is important jog of the guide. .

Of the many thousands of hours and dollars you invested in this hunt/process why skimp on a guide who can make this an amazing hunt for you.

~Robert

Looking for advice on Arizona Unit 10. I got extremely lucky and drew the tag in the random draw. I took two weeks vacation already so I have some time to get out about four days early and scout. I have been reading a lot of people use a guide since this is once in 24/25 year draw with max points. I don't really have the cash for a guide but do not want to waste this awesome tag either, looking for opinions. Thanks
Give us at Ward's Outfitters a call we can accommodate you in Unit 10. 520-4040-5114

Thanks Steven

image.jpg

Back from my unit 10 antelope hunt. Got there five days early to scout on my own and also hired Prongorn Guide service. Missed a 82ish inch buck in the morning that I really liked at 550 yes then was to find another larger buck we had previously found, glad I missed. He scores over 92" green. Iam beyond excited will most likely be the trophy of a lifetime. Had a two mile stalk then low crawling in the mud during a short thunderstorm to get the shot. Thanks to all the help provided and pms sent by members.
7mm rem with 180 Berger. 410 yd shot.

Amazing world class buck! Look at the mass near those gorgeous ivory tips! Wow!

So glad you went with an outfitter for this!

~Robert

I knew you would get a big one. Congrats. Not many can say they have a B&C record book anything hanging on their wall.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.