archery turkey

zuba

After stopping in by Jim at center shot rifles and talking about the tac15 he had my brain started spinning. I drew a tag for this may 1-7 this year and plan to use my bow from a blind. I picked up some big rage heads and some bullheads and plan to take both with me. Now that the snow is melting I am going to start practicing harder and see if I can get into my groove. Last summer I was so comfortable with it I had to shoot at individual targets, out to 80 yards, to spend less time refletching my arrows. I am pumped, hopefully the northwoods turkeys cooperate!

We either use steel blunts or smaller fixed blades and shoot for the head. The kids in the mentor program have had no problem taking turkeys with this method. The head is a larger target than vitals, no wounding, even a grazing shot with blunts will end it right then. Best part is no wounded birds.

I did archery turkey exactly once. We ran into one unexpectedly so I dropped to my knees to wait for him to come in while my buddy called. An hour and half later, the **** bird still hadn't come in, and my legs hurt so bad from kneeling and not moving for that long that I had to stand up. Spooked the bird, naturally.

I realized that without a blind and something to sit on, archery turkey is a pain lol

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.