AR Bullets???

Greywolf18

I was just wondering if anyone is shooting an AR with either 70 or 75 gr Berger VLD's (.224)? I am trying to find out if they are like the A-Max's and are too long to fit in the AR magazines. Right now shooting Hornady 75gr BTHP, but have heard nothing but good things about VLD's so I want to try them out. I just got some 77gr SMK's, but wondering if the VLD's would work as well. That way I'll do a few loads of each and see which one shoots the best, and then sit around and wait until this summer to try them on some prairie dogs :D

Was also wondering if anyone has shot prairie dogs/groundhogs with the .224 VLD's and how they worked? The BTHP killed several last year, but also went right through 2 of them which crawled somewhat down their hole and died. I was able to get one of them out and it looked like the bullet went right through it but not enough damage to make red mist. Wondering if VLD's and SMK's would do the same?

Brian

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.