Ar-15 cycle issues

Ccctennis

I posted a thread during the summer with a cycle issue in my rock river ar-15

I took lots of suggestions and went back to range this week.

I used a slower burning powder. BL-C2
I also used a larger pill 75 grain

All was working fine. Fired about 50-75 rounds with no issues at all. I was about to leave and grabbed a different mag and all of a sudden same issue. Case didn't eject and next round was fed up against fired case.

Immediately switched mags and gun functioned properly. Is it possible that a bad mag could cause this issue? I understand feeding issues being linked to a mag but didn't think it has any effect on bad extraction???

My rock river doesn't have a gas adjustment system. I'm trying to narrow down variables.

Side not took a box of rounds that didn't not eject properly this past summer and they ran perfectly today. Slide doesn't always lock back when last round ejects? Under gassed? Over gassed? Mag issue?

CCC, if you have stuck cases, often the chamber is dirty from steel cases or residue. There are several chamber brushes available, I like the IOSSO brush. Try cleaning the gas tube also. I have seen this happen often at the range. Good luck

Mags can effect the way a rifle runs. If everything works with other mags and then you switch to a mag that does not let the rifle run properly then it stands to reason that it just could be that mag. I have had this happen with 1911 Colt type pistols. It pays to get GOOD quality mags for anything.

if the extractor pulled off the rim 9 times out of 10 your running your load a bit to hot or like was said your chambers dirty but it usually takes 500 or more rounds in my guns to even come close to getting to to dirty. . Mag function has nothing to do with extraction. If your bolts coming back it should have the empty with it. could also be a bur I the chamber that causing drag. Combine that with a high pressure round and brass will stick or have so much friction that it slows down the bolt. Rock river guns are usually pretty good guns but a mistake can be made by any of them. You don't happen to have one of those tight chambered models do you. I forget what there called wylde or something like that. Never saw the sense in chambering a defense gun tightly.

Are you using a A2 stock or carbine extension?
Is your gas system a rifle, mid or carbine length gas system ?
If you are using a carbine extension what wieight of Buffer; std, H or H2 ?
What length of barrel?
Would like to know your gas port size on barrel.....this effects chamber pressure most ......to small creates excessive port pressure.

Give me this info and I can help you!

With the side not locking back it sounds like your over gassed.
If you are running a carbine extension suggest a H buffer which is standard in the Military M4.
This will slow your bolt down a bit.
Also It's also good to upgrade your bolt extractor spring ...........to 5 Coil spring with black insert and no Crane donut from Sprinco. The bolt really takes a beating in overgassed guns.....this will help.
Your buffer spring also from Sprinco for carbines they offer 3.......look at their website any questions shoot me a PM

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 47
Guy I work with had same issues even bought an adjustable gas block still no joy it sounded undergased to me so I loned him a set of drill bits and told him make sure his gas port didn't have a bur or something obstructing it he took it apart and ran one of the bits into the gas port by hand not even in a drill and the port wasn't conpletely drilled thru to the bore he remidied that and has had no moe issues with his

Cool

Remember the smaller the port higher the chamber pressure

A lot has to taken into consideration barrel length and gas tube length are the 2 big ones.

For most reliability the longer the dwell the better the reliability ......rife length gas system on 18" to 20" barrels.

Are you using a A2 stock or carbine extension?
Is your gas system a rifle, mid or carbine length gas system ?
If you are using a carbine extension what wieight of Buffer; std, H or H2 ?
What length of barrel?
Would like to know your gas port size on barrel.....this effects chamber pressure most ......to small creates excessive port pressure.

Give me this info and I can help you!

With the side not locking back it sounds like your over gassed.
If you are running a carbine extension suggest a H buffer which is standard in the Military M4.
This will slow your bolt down a bit.
Also It's also good to upgrade your bolt extractor spring ...........to 5 Coil spring with black insert and no Crane donut from Sprinco. The bolt really takes a beating in overgassed guns.....this will help.
Your buffer spring also from Sprinco for carbines they offer 3.......look at their website any questions shoot me a PM
I'm shooting a rock river operator. Not sure what setup I have as this is my first ar. I believe the barrel is 16 inches.

if only that mag, clean mag lube and try again if still happens toss the mag and move on with life. if mult mags then it is a gas issue most likely. the gas tube can be slightly misaligned during assembly and the bulb on it wears a little on one side that leads to a gas blow bye. other things is a partial plug in gas block, misaligned gas block if not pinned and could be crap in gas port on barrel leading to gas block. Usually gas blows crap out of gas block and tubes - sort of self cleaning, but strange things happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.