AR-10 Scope Suggestions/Recommendations

JW74

I have an AR-10 that I have been putting together and it's a little bit of a budget build due to the fact I just built a new custom bolt action gun. It will be more of a three gun setup than varmint rifle. I want to put on a 1-6x or 1-8x scope but am hoping to keep it around $4-450 or so. Can anyone tell me if the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x is better or worse than the Primary Arms 1-8x? They are similar in price. Or is there a better choice than either of those for similar price? I am looking at 2nd focal plain optics.

Last edited:
As a followup to this thread I was able to go into the store this afternoon and look at various optics and glad that I did. It turned the direction I plan to go a little and the scope I am leaning towards now is the Vortex Viper PST gen II 1-6x24. Has anyone here owned one and how'd you like it. I tun a gen I PST on my Creedmoor and it seems pretty good. The Gen II PST seems to have better glass.

I put a Razor HD Gen II 1-6 on mine and love it. Really good eye box, excellent glass clarity. Small amount of pin-holing at 1X, but not bothersome. Very happy with purchase. Don't have a relative comparison to other 1-X scopes. I did set it to 6X and compare to NXS 5.5-22 and VX6 3 - 18X. Field of view on the Razor was significantly larger making it a pleasure to look through. Only downside, the Razor is heavy.

Good luck with your decision.

Sightron S Tac 5-20 x 50
Awesome glass and around $400

Here is one on my AR in 308 I built and painted.

I put a Razor HD Gen II 1-6 on mine and love it. Really good eye box, excellent glass clarity. Small amount of pin-holing at 1X, but not bothersome. Very happy with purchase. Don't have a relative comparison to other 1-X scopes. I did set it to 6X and compare to NXS 5.5-22 and VX6 3 - 18X. Field of view on the Razor was significantly larger making it a pleasure to look through. Only downside, the Razor is heavy.

Good luck with your decision.

Clickr, I ended up going with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 1-6x24 and have been really happy with it so far. Glass seems pretty clear but it is a little tough shooting 100 yard groups on 6x while doing load development.

Sightron S Tac 5-20 x 50
Awesome glass and around $400

Here is one on my AR in 308 I built and painted.

BHC, that's a great looking rifle! I did something similar with mine as well. How does it shoot?

Attachments

• AR-10.jpg
    AR-10.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 141
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.