AR-10 or 6.8?

The 6.8 SPC was created to give the AR platform more knock-down power within 300 yards while retaining a 16 in barrel (and a mag capacity over 20 or something). It does this very well. It's a whitetail hammer within 200-300yds. All with the same weight and handling as a standard 556 carbine, with just a touch more recoil. The Grendel takes over at 300yards+-, but it takes a few more inches of tube to really shine (20in min, and longer is better) and isn't as soft shooting. Both are gaining a good following in the AR15 crowd and the 6.8 ammo seems to be getting more plentiful and really transforms the AR15. Yet the Grendel is the better long range round, but loses the capacity and tube length battle.

The AR10 is a totally different beast. 308 comes into play after the 6.8 and the Grendel are pretty much out of the fight.

totally depends on what you are wanting to do with the rifle. I have a 20" 6.8 I love the rifle it is accurate and handles well. 6.8 run out of steam pretty fast, so at 300+ yards and you are really needed a more powerful cartridge. I also have a 6.5 creedmore in a DPMS LR rifle,very heavy but shoots extremely accurate haven't spent much time at ranges beyond 500 M but up to that distance it has proven to be awsome. Cost and weight stay with the ar-15 platformfor long range hunting performance ar-10 platform.

The 6.5 grendels in a 20" barrel is about as good a hunting platform as you can make for long range set up on a ar-15 platform. There is a very impressive post on 6.5grendel.com by Adam Lilja, he shota nice buck at 502 yds and had a very humane kill. I am not a ringer behind the trigger but hitting 6"*6" swinging steel is boringly easy with my 20".

The 6.5 grendels in a 20" barrel is about as good a hunting platform as you can make for long range set up on a ar-15 platform. There is a very impressive post on 6.5grendel.com by Adam Lilja, he shota nice buck at 502 yds and had a very humane kill. I am not a ringer behind the trigger but hitting 6"*6" swinging steel is boringly easy with my 20".

I own both the 6.5 Grendel and .308 platforms and I gotta tell you there isn't much the .308 does that the Grendel can't do.
The 6.5 Grendel is now a Sammi load so Hornady and Alexander Arms are pumping out plenty.
I shoot the Hornady 123 gr Amax and SSTs and a box of ammo is about $20.00 where as a box of .308 150 gr Superformance SSTs will cost you close to $30.00.
My best deer kills with both platforms has been 425 yards.
If you're not going to shoot past 300 yards the 6.8 spc is great but if you want to reach out past 300 yards buy the Grendel or the .308.

I guess I should have said , that swinging steel is at 500yds now and still boring to hit. People make the argument that ammo isn't always accessible but if you are reading this then you have all the tools you need to find grendel ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.