APS massaged Sako trg Warbird

Jimm

A while ( months ) ago I posted about a Sako trg in the Lazzeroni warbird caliber that was spraying shots all over cremation while doing load development . Couldn't keep a ladder test at 300 on paper even ( 8.5x11).

This rifle belongs to a friend of mine and after discussing it with Kirby Allen we sent it to him for some upgrades.

Mcmillan stock TRG
oversize holland recoil lug
Holland QD muzzle break
full bedding /pillar bedding

We stopped short of rebbling thinking the sako0 bbl was up to the stds we had set for a light weight carry rifle .

The brake was a tremendous help in shooting the rifle on the bench in half day long sessions. It now recoils like a 243, no kidding . Recoil before the brake was installed was so bad that once when Scott was shooting it the wires in his chest ( multiple bypass surgery ) BROKE !

At this point we have only had time to develop one load for it using RL 25 and the 180 Nosler Accubond . We tried the 200 gr. Accubond but as Kirby surmised the twist rate was not optimal for that weight .

Retumbo is on the way then we will use it and the 180 AB . Perhaps it will ggive more velocity with good accuracy . Will post results when done . The ladder test are at 300 yds and hen their is a 100 yd verification target .
Here is the results of the RL25 ladder : [image]
lazz1.jpg
[/image] [image]
lazz2.jpg
[/image] [image]
lazz3.jpg
[/image]

As you can see the 20 shot ladder went into 6" x 10 " , a 50% reduction in overall group size while shooting a ladder test . Already an indicator of positive results from the accurizing .

The 100 yd target ( last of the images ) shows what I consider to be the " Finickyness" of such extreme overbores . So far my experience is showing that the "sweet spot " may be very small .

At any rate it has been fun getting it to this point .

Jim B.

Hi Jimm,
I am glad to see that you and Scott persevered with this "behemoth" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif and did not give up on it, allowing it to show its true potential.
Maybe there is some more to go yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian.

Ian !!!

Always a pleasure to hear from you and yes it is a " Behemoth "

You should post here more often you bugger ( and yes , I know what that means , but it is a joke on my part , eh ? ) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hope you are shooting , you really should post some pix of your goshawful groups /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif and the surrounding countryside

God bless my friend across the pond ,

Jim B

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.