Apex Outdoors - 30 Cal Afterburners Now In Stock!

Alright. Website has been updated on the BC values we have calculated to also disclose the twist rate of the rifle shot behind the radar. So, in summary, we list:
1. The observed G7 (G1 where appropriate, i.e. Haymaker) calculated from a fit curve generated on the radar csv plot file
2. The velocity spectrum where the observation took place
3. The twist rate of the rifle doing the shooting

This is about the best we can do in relation to BC. When we have offerings that we don't have the means to shoot, we will leave the BC listed as an estimate. It will be obvious which are which. Luckily, so far, we've gotten pretty good at calculating estimates, when compared to actual, but that may change as we go up and down in caliber, so we shall see.

One thing I failed to mention in relation to gyroscopic stability in the discussion above. We DO NOT subtract the nose or part of the nose when calculating the stability of our Afterburners. Some ballistics calculators allow the ability to account for this with plastic noses, but we choose not to use that functionality on purpose, and the calculation is considerably more conservative as a result. The weight of the nose itself is almost insignificant, and it predominates around the central axis, so any additions to the mass moment of inertia are almost imperceptible. HOWEVER, from an aerodynamic and structural standpoint, the nose is just as prominent as if it were attached permanently to the bullet. We know ours will shoot with excellent stability in flight. Our concern was completely around terminal stability and performance, and we wanted to be very much on the conservative side in that regard. It's the most important attribute of a bullet's performance. All else is secondary, at least in our view.

I guess this was really part of my explanation around twist rate acceptability for Apex Outdoors bullets in the above response. I just did a poor job disclosing all the reasons why I said it. No doubt, BC will still get higher with a tighter twist rate (that was the other part of the discussion), but it is more a luxury than a necessity.
Awesome, and thank you, Mark! I really appreciate the transparency and work you did to make that known and published accordingly. It's really helpful to the end user.

No doubt info and numbers will evolve over time and I'm glad to hear you will update it as necessary.

I like the idea behind the tips too and I agree with your logic there.

Didn't have much time to shoot yesterday, moose hunting a few hours in the morning, cabin pilings going in during the day & shooting a few rounds, then hunting a few hours till dark ....

Shot the first round & Magneto said low 3382 fps for the 106.0 gr load of LRT... so I skipped shooting all of the loads to save bullets, primers & powder, I only shot one round of each load to get an idea on velocity & pressure indicators on the brass ... with no high pressures found I shot all 5 of the 112.5 gr loads just to make sure ...

All cases extracted without any effort with zero signs of high pressure on primers or case heads, could barely see the imprint of expansion at the .200" height around case head & all cases looked the same from lowest to highest charge, one reason I like super shiny polished brass for load development, every minute difference in pressure shows up, like a detailed road map ! I don't think there is enough room in the ADG 300 RUM brass for the LRT powder to reach high pressures, at 112.5 gr there is quite a bit of powder compression to seat the bullets at 3.636" with no room for more powder... And can't seat the bullet out due to the design requiring neck contact with upper band for bullet alignment

Might be able to get another grain of powder in thinner cased head brass like Norma/Nosler or Hornady but pressures will be offset and not much gain in velocity will likely occur ... Pretty much can list LRT as a bit too slow of a powder for the super slick 153 gr Afterburner bullet in the 300 RUM

The remaining four 112.0 gr loads were in my 300 RUM last night, moose hunting !

So technically you can say that the 153 gr Afterburner is "Gone Hunting" .... for moose in Alaska

106.0 gr = 3382 fps
107.0 gr = 3469 fps
108.0 gr = 3414 fps
109.0 gr = 3434 fps
109.5 gr = 3447 fps
110.5 gr = 3451 fps
111.0 gr = 3461 fps
111.5 gr = 3487 fps
112.0 gr = 3497 fps

112.5 gr = 3468 fps
112.5 gr = 3522 fps
112.5 gr = 3494 fps
112.5 gr = 3516 fps
112.5 gr = 3518 fps

3EF4F9E8-0B46-4E62-A0A2-4761985E230A.jpeg
6DFD91F3-B67C-4F18-A08C-1F39B4D63268.jpeg
ADC36C90-3D43-4FC5-A982-CDD04F439143.jpeg

My quick thoughts on 300 RUM powder for the 153gr:
1. Re-26 - probably the best option, right in the sweet spot, it's what I'd try and run
2. IMR 7828 SSC - right behind Re-26, barely
3. H4831 SC - solid option as well with a rock steady powder