AOL question

Thanks woods I knew what you meant by headspace measurement. Just my termanolgy isn't up to scratch yet. The ogive measurements i only use for checking loaded rounds, setting up my seater die, and checking projectiles

I have that hornady gauge and sometimes i get a really short reading if i try to push the bullet into the lands. So then i push the bullet out and with no tension on the thumb screw slowly push it into the chamber and let it push the bullet back . then compare the difference. If theirs a big difference you will have to keep doing it till you get a feel for witch ones is right. I've found it"s usually the longer one .

I am a cheap sob...so I didnt buy the hornady case, I just drilled out the backside of one of my already fired cases with the intention of tapping it to thread onto the tool, but realized my tap set didnt have what I needed so I ended up just holding the case onto it and taking my measurements. Not exactly easy but doable.

You should use the hornady headspace comparator as mentioned and measure the hornady case and a case fire formed in your chamber. It's not uncommon to see a big difference which could account for some of it. Also the hornady oal gauge can be a devil some times to get accurate measurements. I find it helps to take a wood dowel or a coated cleaning rod and inserting in the muzzle and you can push it against the bullet in the tool and feel when it
Comes in the lands. I also think that your measurement is suspect or your chamber is out of spec. If your jamming bullets at saami coal length you have issues. Usually it's the other way around.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.