Aodad along the Canadian river in NM

wildcat westerner

Hello,
Am gathering information on hunting Aodad in New Mexico. I have learned there is a huntable population of these animals relatively close to me on the Canadian River country in NE New Mexico.
Obviously, having this area pointed out to me on a map, does not tell me about populations, density, ruggedness of country or especially access. Seemingly there is a large amount of state lands in the Canadian river, but that does you no good if you cannot gain access to it!
it would be great to connect with serious hunters who may have hunted in the area for this species, or any other for that matter, since you could really save mea lot of timing getting to know the basics about this country. New Mexico seems to be a special land for opportunities to hunt, especially for these exotic species. However, this 4-5th largest state in the Union has only the third smallest state population, and the vast majority could not take the time and expense to hunt such an animal. So gathering trustworthy accurate information is a challenge here. Well meant information often is NOT accurate information.
Thanks in advance,
Gene S.

Don't know about New Mexico. But I was hunting in Channing Texas, pronghorn this fall on the Quine Sabe ranch. The Canadian river runs through the middle. We saw sheep on two occasions. One guy in camp took a really nice ram the second day. The terrain is not that tough compared to West Texas, and the more mountainous terrain. I will attach a pic of the guys sheep... it was a nice ram of about 30 inches with nice mass.

Attachments

• A7BE58AA-EABE-44E2-B964-9954C9D279C7.jpeg
    A7BE58AA-EABE-44E2-B964-9954C9D279C7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 305
IIRC the Canadian River Canyon was the site of the first state transplant of
Aoudads in New Mexico back in the 1950's. The exotic management in NM is pretty checkered with some decisions that defy logic. They spent big bucks to establish some species, had a change of management, and then spend big bucks on eradication programs. I do not know about how the Aoudads have faired along the Canadian, but I wish you well in your search for good info.

Squeezenhope,
Thank you for your insights into the management of these exotics in New Mexico. I have discovered that much of the reasoning behind such ridiculously short rifle seasons in NM was two fold: 1- it preserves game 2- I was informed by members of the state highway patrol that theyy arrest more fish and game violators every year than the game wardens do since the wardens are in such pitiful numbers, that they are jumped around the states enforcing these short seasons. My attempt to acquire info on the Barberry sheep is two fold, to hunt them and also get into shape. Apparently these sheep are few and far between and also extremely shy, so I anticipate learning about the country, and being ready for fall hunting. using Hunting Fool to determine my picks for many species on areas of 2 to 7 percent of draw success, I may not be hunting, but if I draw a tag it will be for quality hunt.
Gene s.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.