Anyone using Retumbo in their 6.5 STW?

tim jurczak

Just getting started with my new M700 in 6.5 STW. Was wondering if anybody has been using Retumbo in theirs with 140gr bullets. Using my goofball method I came up with a starting load of 78gr but have not tried it yet. I am also interested in any loads that have worked out for you guys. Thanks, Tim

I do not have a 6.5 STW but Retumbo really shoots in my 264 Win Mag. Max load from Hodgdon with 140's in the 264 Win Mag is 63.5 grs if that helps you any. 66.5 grs with 130 Accubond out of my 27 3/4" barrel, 9 twist Shilen, 3350 fps average and outstanding accuracy. This bullet works great up close and far away on deer.

I use Retumbo in my 270 AMP its a Dakota 7mm necked down i shoot 169.5's with 69 1/2" grains of Retumbo 3050 I'm not sure but I have been told this cartrage is close to an STW in capacity mine is not near max it is just where the sweet spot is.

Thanks for the help guys. I should mention that my "goofball" method is to use starting loads for the 7mm STW, matching bullets of comparable S.D.'s. It has been safe so far but the 6.5 STW is not the type of cartridge you want to write a handloading manual for your self for as it is hard on throats!:rolleyes:
Tim Jurczak

Retumbo is a great powder in the 7mm STW but the same case necked down to 6.5 I would say needs a slower powder for best results with the 140gr +.

Retumbo is a pretty slow burning powder US869 & H50BMG are slower but I would think Retumbo would work great

There really isn't many powders that are slower than Retumbo. I think the application is fine I'm just concerned about the actual loads. Using the Sept 1999 issue of shooting times which has over 40 loads I have been OK so far. H50BMG in that issue has a max load I can barely fit in the case so I think it might actually be too slow/bulky for me???

Well I took three Retumbo loads to the range today. 76, 76.5, and 77gr. and never experienced excessive pressure. With a 140gr Amax loaded 26 thou of the lands I was getting 5/8"'groups with all. Looked to be quite a bit of air space left in the cases. I did not chrono yet. Will fill in the blanks later.

No the loads have not yet been chrono'ed as I have been mostly interested in internal ballistic stuff. Primarily pressures and bore fouling. What has surprised me is that the faster powders ie 7828 and Retumbo have performed better than the slow ones, wc872 and h50bmg. I'm really tempted to toss H1000 into the mix.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.