Anyone using Sierra 140gr SBT in their 6.5 Creed for hunting?

Deputy819

A search on this didn't reveal much. That in itself tells me a little bit. However, is anyone using these for hunting with their 6.5 Creedmoor? I just couldn't get the Berger 130gr Hybrids to shoot consistently in my rifle and my local GS has the Sierra's in stock. Gun season opener here is November 14th so I'm a little pressed for time as far as this rifle goes. My .300 Win Mag is ready to rock, but I wanted to use the Creed this year and at least get one deer to it's credit. Barrel is a 24" Shilen 8 twist light varmint profile in a Savage 10 action. Thanks guys (and gals ;))!

The Sierra Gamekings have always been a good hunting bullet, only thing is a low BC but their terminal performane has always been great. Curious at what range will you be shooting at?

Depending on muzzle velocity you can provably go up to 400 yds and they'll do the job no problem. Magnum velocity impacts is the only thing that would worry me but at CM speeds you won't have that problem.

In my experience the 140gr version in 7mm have always been easy to find accurate loads for. Growing up lots of coues fell victims to the 7mm 140gr Gameking and one shot kills.

Stay safe

The Sierra Gamekings have always been a good hunting bullet, only thing is a low BC but their terminal performane has always been great. Curious at what range will you be shooting at?
Hey there!! Thanks for chiming in on this one. I don't have a shot over 250 yards on my property. The farm next to me that I have access to the max distance is 400 yards.
I'll be using RL26 with this bullet so I'll have a little 'help' with the velocity ;). I ran a pressure test with this combo yesterday at .010" off the lands and 48.0gr RL 26 was just barely compressed in the Lapua LRP case and gave up 3003 fps with a slight swipe on the case head. 47.5gr gave up 2983fps with no pressure signs. I'll call the 'Max' right there and do the usual load work up being sure to steer clear of compression.

Not in the Creed but in 6.5x55 I have killed a bunch of deer with it. If you get the dope right you can kill deer WAAAAAAY past 400 yards if you are getting 2800 fps. This bullet is no slouch in the ballistics. Kills deer DEAD if you put it where it needs to go. If your max shot is 250 yards sight in 2" high at 100 and hold dead center out to 275 with no worries.

I have used them in the creed and have a couple hundred on hand if I cannot get my 142's. We have killed blacktail deer with them and they are a hammer. I would have no problem using these in any caliber. I shoot whitetail doe's with a 65sgk out of a 223 and it has performed flawless. I wouldn't worry about bc until long range shooting.

If you get the dope right you can kill deer WAAAAAAY past 400 yards if you are getting 2800 fps.
Sweet! I shouldn't have any problem attaining that velocity and as long as this combo will consistently hold half-minute accuracy at 200 yards I'll be plenty happy......considering my distance limitations.

I have used them in the creed and have a couple hundred on hand if I cannot get my 142's. We have killed blacktail deer with them and they are a hammer. I would have no problem using these in any caliber. I shoot whitetail doe's with a 65sgk out of a 223 and it has performed flawless. I wouldn't worry about bc until long range shooting.
Good deal! I'm not really concerned at all with BC for this rifles particular application. I know that probably seems 'jacked up' considering it's a 6.5 Creedmoor, but this rifle was put together just for plinking, varmints and the occasional deer. Sounds like this bullet will fit that niche pretty well.

Hey there!! Thanks for chiming in on this one. I don't have a shot over 250 yards on my property. The farm next to me that I have access to the max distance is 400 yards.
I'll be using RL26 with this bullet so I'll have a little 'help' with the velocity ;). I ran a pressure test with this combo yesterday at .010" off the lands and 48.0gr RL 26 was just barely compressed in the Lapua LRP case and gave up 3003 fps with a slight swipe on the case head. 47.5gr gave up 2983fps with no pressure signs. I'll call the 'Max' right there and do the usual load work up being sure to steer clear of compression.

Anytine Deputy819. Like @hunter67wa mentioned, they are a hammer.

At the distances you mentioned I would not hesitate to used them at all as long as your rifle likes them. I have not met a rifle that doesn't like the Gamekings.

Some troubled times are coming so stay safe out there on the streets.

The 140 is a pretty tough bullet I have found them to be accurate, at the range you spoke of you may also look at the 130 hpbt gameking they normally shoot like matchkings and kill very well

Don't meam to hijack this thread but just a quick question for you Sir, on the GK HPBT's, are they tougher bullets or do they also expand violently?

TIA

Yep I shoot the Sierra Gameking 140g in my Creed. I shoot 41.8g of H4350 lit by CCI BR-2 primers with COAL 2.698". Shoots sub 1/2" all day. I've only had it to 500 yards but maintains less than 1/2 MOA. Mine sports a 23" barrel so muzzle velocity is 2686. Brass is Starline at this time. Have also used Alpha and Hornady with same Load.

Love Sierra's for hunting!

I have killed 3 deer with a 22" 6.5 creedmoor and 140 Gameking. My loads were with RL 26 at 2.845" COAL and around 2850fps. All three deer dropped in their tracks even one at around 120yds with a posterior lung shot. Honestly there are no flies on the 140 Gameking.

I think in the 6.5 creedmoor for short and long the 130 game changer is the better bullet at 2900fps but I have no problem with any of the 6.5mm Sierra bullets on deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.