Anyone using 7mm 180gr Berger Hybrids on game?

fordnutter

Just putting together some reloading components in preparation for my 284 Winchester long range build. I will test the 162gr Amax & the 180gr Berger VLD but was wondering if Bergers 180gr Hybrid (which presumably have a thick jacket) expand ok on game. So does anybody have any experience with terminal ballistics of the Hybrids in their 7mm?
Is Sierra's 175 SMK or 180gr worth trying as well?

fordnutter, I have been shooting the 162 amax in my new 284 imp build 28" Krieger. I started with 58.5 grns of 4831 sc at 3000fps with 5fps spread in 5 shots. I went up to 61 grns but the spread went to 28 fps. The 180 hybrids ran at 2900fps with the same 58.5grns of h4831 sc. but the group at 500yrds was 2" and the amax was 5". Shooting partner uses 57.5grns with the berger hybrid at 2850fps in a custom 284 imp and does very well at our plates at 1460yrds.

I tried the 180 Hybrids last summer while looking for something heavier than the 162 Amax, it turns out my rifle LOVES them. I have shot 2 WT deer, 2 antelope, and 9 coyotes with the 180 Hybrids (so far) and I am impressed with their performance, shots out to 600 yds. I wouldn't hesitate to use them out to a grand.

jarhead, what cartridge are you using them in, and do you think they would work good on an elk sized animal. we havent shot anything with them but steel and they work well on that. I have 400 more on their way.

I shoot them out of my custom 7 SAUM with H4831sc to 3047 fps. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on elk, as far out as I am comfortable with taking a shot in the conditions.

Jarhead - Wow that sounds promising. My rifle is being chambered in 284 Shehane so hoping to shoot the Hybrids around 2,950 fps with H4831SC. I was particularly interested in the performance on smaller game like the Antelope & coyotes.

They are devistating on antelope and coyotes. The only way I would not suggest using them is if you care about the pelt. I shot one coyote at about 400 yds that left a larger than softball sized hole. Around here we prefer them very dead with a ruined pelt rather than risk not killing them with one shot.
With deer and antelope expect to see a golf ball sized exit, depending on what bones were hit.

We have only taken a large Buck Muley and several coyotes so far with them. Lots of shots in the 500 to 700 yard range. From what we have seem so far I would not have a problem taking an elk to 800 and probably farther later on after we see how the first one goes. But from our experiences with many elk taken with the 230 and the 300 hybrids, I say they will be a great long range hunting bullet with accuracy and wind bucking capabilities thatwill be hard to equal.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.