Anyone use regular dies as hand dies for bullet seating?

toddc

As the title says.

I used to shoot 15 seconds from my bench. Now its 2 hrs EACH WAY.

2 issues.

I'm a tight wad.

No hand dies floating around for a 7 SAUM.

I know its POSSIBLE just not sure if anyone does it and can't find anything on the interwebs.

May just figure a way to cobble together a press or buy a cheapo Lee to take with me.

Any insight?

As the title says.

2 issues.

I'm a tight wad.

I know its POSSIBLE just not sure if anyone does it and can't find anything on the interwebs.

May just figure a way to cobble together a press or buy a cheapo Lee to take with me.

Any insight?

Buy the RCBS partner press and take it.with you.very popular with the load at the range crowd.

My portable range setup has this press and I really like it

Combo Press

As the title says.

2 issues.

I'm a tight wad.

Any insight?

Dang, that's quite the trip.

Buy the RCBS partner press and take it.with you.very popular with the load at the range crowd.

My portable range setup has this press and I really like it

Combo Press

Very nice equipment but I think you might have missed his honest caveat of himself.:D

Cheers!

As the title says.

2 issues.

I'm a tight wad.

Any insight?

They do make hand dies for 7 SAUM but there expensive.

L.E. Wilson Inc. Wilson Tools and Gages

As the title says.

2 issues.

I'm a tight wad.

Any insight?
There are some "hand presses" available that use standard dies. Check on Ebay.

hand reloading press | eBay

I started loading with an old Lee basic set that used all hand tools including a hammer and the lee powder measures that are small plastic cups on sticks and would load my own in the field while prairie dog hunting while the rifles cooled down.

Lee Loader Rifle - Lee Precision

As long as the wind wasn't blowing too much it worked out pretty well. On windy days I'd sit in the front seat instead of the bed of the truck while handling powder.

Fun times.

You can also rig up just about any basic single stage press on a 2x6 or 2x8 and affix it with clamps to a shooting bench, same with the powder measures like the RCBS Uniflow or Hornady LNL. Volumetric charge measures aren't as accurate as weighing each load but it is a lot quicker and easier in the field.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.