Anyone use Lee, RCBS, or Hornady Neck sizing dies?

SofaKing

I'm looking to get some neck sizing dies for my bolt actions in 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 25-06, and 280 rem. Up till now I've only been using full length dies from rcbs on an rcbs press.
Does anyone use neck sizing dies from Lee, RCBS, or Hornady? What do like or dislike about the ones you use? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have used them all, the only one I would recommend is the Lee collet. The others offer nothing more than a properly set up FL die. Dragging the neck back over the expander is bad for run out.

I do have a Lee Collet and Redding body die for every cartridge except 338 Lapua, that one I use a RCBS FL bushing die.

I have used them all, the only one I would recommend is the Lee collet. The others offer nothing more than a properly set up FL die. Dragging the neck back over the expander is bad for run out.

I do have a Lee Collet and Redding body die for every cartridge except 338 Lapua, that one I use a RCBS FL bushing die.

What gohring3006 said.

Exactly what I do as well. Even for 25-06.

300 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 25-06, and 280 rem.
These need FL sizing. Try a FL bushing die.

Using RCBS neck dies in 243, 30-06, 223, they produced worse accuracy than FL dies. The neck may get pulled off center of the case body by the expander.

These need FL sizing. Try a FL bushing die.

Using RCBS neck dies in 243, 30-06, 223, they produced worse accuracy than FL dies. The neck may get pulled off center of the case body by the expander.

Not everyone has the same experiences.

Some have those experiences with some dies and not others. All different manufacturers.

The "best" necks sizing die, as J. E. Custom said is the Lee collet. I use it to very good results. Some day I may have to FL size the brass I use it on, no strike that. I load for accuracy not speed and after finding the load, have never had to FL size those.

I do use other neck sizers, Hornady, RCBS, custom Wilson for my BR, etc..

For a lot of FL resizing now I pull the expander ball and use a mandrel. PIA to have another pass through the press but seems to work better. A plus is that I can make my own mandrels.

Would the Lee collet dies need a adapter to work in an RCBS press?

Would the Lee collet dies need a adapter to work in an RCBS press?

Nope, I just change the lock ring to one where I can lock it to the die when I get it set up. That way I don't have to adjust it every time. The Lee lock ring doesn't have a lock screw.
I also have several shell holders for the same case head. So I make sure I use the same shell holder each time I use the die.

Dito for me also. Except I don't own a .338 Lapua. Some tricks I use on Lee collet dies is . Place an extra O ring under the lock collar and don't tighten it down too hard , Gives a nice little bit of float to line everything up. Also reduced neck length sizing can be done by placing a washer over the case down onto the shell holder . The die skirt pushes on the washer and reduces the amount the neck is sized lengthwise only not neck tension . You have to set the die up from scratch with the washer in place .
For an RCBS press adjust the die so the case is sized right at the very last part of the ram travel so the handle locks in place .
Gives a positive place to stop applying pressure .

morning, gohring 3006 is right. I use the neck sizing die until the case

will not fit the chamber. Then I throw the brass away. I use hornandy

neck sizing dies. back in the day of lots of reloading supplies I bought 200 casings of

whatever calibers I had in safe, Winchester if I could find this brass. THIS JUST ME.

Back in the day I would buy match reloading die sets. THK U.lightbulb:)gun)

in a bolt action or single shot there is NO need to fl size. Period.
I collet size, collet size, collet size, and keep collet sizeing till they show a little extra effort to close the bolt (usually 5 loads). Then and only then I fl size along with anneal then I repeat the above. 1401 shots fired from 100 pieces of FC brass from my 7rm and no signs of fatege

BTW since 1990 I have been loading 3030 win (3030 win I never aneal just toss, cant be bothered anealling a 3030) in a contender, 3006 in a ruger 77 and 7rm in a sav 111 all with lee collet + fl dies no problems

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.