Anyone shooting a 6.8 AR-15 yet?

NM_Varminter

I was thinking of getting a 6.8 upper for my RRA .223 rig. My .223 is a tack driver but would like to know if anyone has gotten the 6.8 and is there any advantage to it over the .223?

Thanks in advance.

Well the 6.8 does have more energy than the 223 and a better selection of hunting bullets for game bigger than coyoyes so if your target is deer and larger then I'd say its a viable choice over the 223.

From a defense weapon stand point I refuse to accept the claims that its a better round for combat than the 223 "WITH PROPER BULLETS !!" If you reload I'd highly recoment that you try out a 6mm-223 , it offers the heavier bullets for bigger game yet allows light weight bullets for varmints ,it uses the same amout of powder as the 223 but the bore is alot bigger thus making it much more effecient in shorter barrels , and it'll run fine through your regular 223 mags.

I get the chance to "play" with some SEALs and Navy SWCC operators often and we have discussed at length what a good round choice would be for the average man in modern combat. Several of these guys have had the chance to use the 6.8 in combat and nobody I talked to was impressed with it enough to give up the increased rounds of the 223. They stated that if their is an increased energy that puts men down faster that its so insignificant that it varies from man to man.
I have let them run my 6mm-223 upper on their full auto lowers and they are all impressed at how well it feeds , the fact that round capacity is the same , little to no increased recoil and its effeciency in a short barrel where the 223 realy starts to loose its luster in in the short 10.5" barrels that alot of these guys cary , all wondered why this round was not adopted before the 6.8.

What is it your wanting your AR to do for you? The AR-15 is one of the best fighting weapons in the world and the 223 is more than capible of killing men for 0-600yds , WITH THE RIGHT BULLETS

i am not going to comment any further on the above, but, i will say, last october i saw a cow elk get hit by a 110 gr barnes triple shock loading at 42 yards. the wound channel was impressive ! i would not want to be hit by one, even in a fmj loading.
my friends ar shot them accurately, but the price of ammo has prevented me from buying.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.