Anyone shoot a 257 Roberts Ackley?

I shoot 25acp, 25-20, 250 Sav, 257 Roberts, 257 Roberts Ackley, 257 Roberts Ackley rimmed, and 25-06.

The first 1" group I ever got was with my 257 Roberts Ackley in 2002. It gave me a 1/2" 5 shot group a week later.

I can remember that at 3900 fps 75 gr Vmax, the brass was good for one firing, and primer pocket was loose. I hated fire forming more brass.

What would get me back into 257RAI is if Nosler sold the brass. They sell 280AI, and it great stuff.

I have only had one, my very first "Improved" round. In 1982, Vidor Texas ( Klan country!) I was a mud engineer on a drilling rig jobsite and visited a small gunshop there. It was the first time I saw the Mod 700 Classic/Roberts in person, ha. Before it was over, I had traded a beautiful 6" colt Python ( super loud, abrasive grips and too pretty to put in a holster! ha) for that new Mod 700 Classic in .257 Roberts (24" barrel too!). I used it one season with the Speer 100 bt, but killed nothing. I then took it to a reputable gunsmith in Houston and he set the barrel back, cut the chamber with a crush fit for the 257 Roberts Ackley Improved ( I still like writing that!) I used factory 117RN to fireform. That Mod 700 had a LA and a long throat. so I set the Hornady 120HP way out, which meant I could use more powder! ha I was able to use PO Ackley's recipes from his Wildcat book! wow! I think it was 47-49 gr IMR 4350/120HP. I never had any of the "primer flattening/heavy bolt lift,etc" pressure signs nor ever clocked it. I only shot crows with it that summer ( it made the feathers & yellow guts fly!) and had to sell it! Its a shame to be young/struggling financially with twin girl babies and being a rifle Looney at the same time! ha) My friend used it on those East Texas deer and hogs like crazy. I ended up with that rifle, 25 yrs later, and he had cut that 24" barrel down to 21" to use in box blinds, and had shot the throat out. I just had a factory takeoff 25-06 barrel put on it, used it awhile. I still "like the looks" of Ackley cases, have had many calibers through the years Improved. However, QL specs revealed that my favorite loads were all running ( guesstimates you understand) at 70-72K pressure wise! While I never had one give me any problems, I am down to just one good eye ( my shooting eye) so now I don't have any. I do, however, think the 257 AI is the cutest, most useful of all his designs. Have a ball man!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.