Anyone running 1:7 twist 6mm bbl?

born2kill

debating on grabbing a 1:7 twist 6mm barrel for a 6x47 build. My gunsmiths recommend it if I want to use 115's dtacs. Not saying it can't be done with a 1:7.5 but will achieve better stability with a 1:7 twist. Wanted to see if anyone is running a 6xc, 6mm creed or 6x47 with a 1:7 twist for 105's or 115's

It would be a good idea to run a 7 twist if you want to use the 110-115's. You'll still be able to use the 105's if the heavies don't work for you.

It just makes me a little nervous cause the 115 Bergers have been out for a while as well as the 115 dtac's and you see and hear that 90% of people are running 7.5 twists. I'm sure the 7twist will stabilize a 115 better but makes me nervous about shooting a 105 out of it incase it's too much torque

Wanted to see if anyone is running a 6xc, 6mm creed or 6x47 with a 1:7 twist for 105's or 115's

I've been using 6mm barrels with the 7.7" twist rate for all three of these cartridges combined with the 115 gr. Bergers which are longer than the DTACs and suffer no lack of stability out to 1,000 yds. So builders choice, you decide because you will have to take into account your atmospheric conditions combined with the velocity you choose for the node. I'm running the upper node at 6,000 ft. so I get a little helping hand from these.

In reality though, the 105's are actually performing better out of my rifles so I'm putting the 115's on the shelf for the time being.

I would be concerned with 105 Berger hunting VLDs(original VLD) which would likely fail here & there at ~2970fps from 7tw. The new target VLDs(thicker jackets) are not an issue here, and 107SMKs/115/117DTACs only failed if shot from a 6WSM or something else that ridiculous in 7tw.

Actually check twist from any barrel not cut rifled. May not be what' stamped on it..

Mike,

If you have tried them then I absolutely take your word on it. But considering that they seem to hold together with 8 twist up to 3200 from my expeirnce, do you really think just 1 per added twist is going to have them coming paprt more than 200 fps slower?

No doubt faster twists + high vel + thin hunting jacket = grenade.

I wanted to put something together quicker so I picked up a straight 7.5 but I was concerned that with more vel 3200+ I may run into the those exact issues. The remedy I am choosing is modest gain twist. I am having Bartlien make me a 8.5 or 8 to end at 7 gain twist. I have never had a gain twist with more than a 1 per increase before. The other was wickedly accurate but was years ago. Waiting to here back but ideally I would love to go 8.5 to 7 finish. With the back log they have I am just hoping to have that order in my hands before end of next summer.

Two different 6mm wildcats builds I am wanting them for.

I tried to go with a 7 twist in my 6x47 to shoot 110 SMK's but the outfit putting it together isn't set up for it yet. They produce their barrels in house.

Several guys around here @ 3200 ft running 105 target to 115's out of a 7 twist with no problems. Dashers, 6x47's.

Last edited:
I have shot the 105 hunters up to 3,400 fps(Reloder 26) from two 7 twist .243 WIN guns and had not issues. I think if you were to shoot a string you may have a problem as the barrel can get HOT with a string of RL26

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.