anyone loading and shooting the 170gr Berger in 270?

bob4

Love my 270 and was thinking about a rifle for this bullet for hunting. Anyone loading and shooting this and your thoughts on it? Also are there any rifles being made with a twist of 1:8 or better for the 270 with out refinancing the house ? (270) Or is it a re-barrel situation? Only have the one 270win and probably not giving it up. Also with a twist like this will this barrel shoot the lighter .277 bullets?

Bob,

Almost all factory rifles available in a .270 Win have 1-10" twist barrels.

You would have to re-barrel to the 1-8" for sure.

Berger is right on with their required twist rates. I wouldn't waste any time or powder trying to make a bullet shoot out of a barrel that is rated for a faster twist.

I learned this the hard way with my 6.5-06 Improved.

a 1-8" twist will shoot practically anything but will over stabilize the lightest varmit bullets.

A 170g Bullet in a 270 sounds interesting for sure. Something definitely worth looking into and contemplating for a custom rifle build.

Hope this helps,

Dan

I don't shoot the bullet in a 270 win but I do shoot the bullet in a 270 wsm and a custom 270/26 nolser. The 270 wsm is a factory Savage with standard 10 inch twist and it has no problem stabilizing the 170 Berger. The bullet is stable in a 10 inch twist but clearly its not an ideal twist rate and your bc will suffer a little maybe possibly significantly from it. I've not done any long range shooting with this rifle since I use my 270/26 nolser for that.

A custom barrel would definitely be best case route but if your rifle likes them they should work.

Also matrix makes 165 great that does well in 10 inch twist. Although they recommend a 9in twist

As for the 8in twist being to fast for smaller bullet weights. I would imagine the 130's would work with no problem but possibly the 110 weights might have issues. But I've not tried the smaller weights bullets since they don't work for long range.

But if you look on this site theirs a good article about the 270 win and the 165 matrix. The bergers would be similar to that in the 270 win with proper twist of course

Despite the extra B.C of the 170gr, do you all think it would be negated by the lower muzzle velocity of the 270win over say the 150gr being pushed faster?

Despite the extra B.C of the 170gr, do you all think it would be negated by the lower muzzle velocity of the 270win over say the 150gr being pushed faster?

In short "yes". Longer version if your looking for maximum mass in bullet for sectional density and weight think 160 partition in. 1:10 270 win . But it's a BC turd and at very close range with velocity it might blow front off bullet. I would just recommend a 150gr. bonded bullet, Berger, Barnes or any other alloy bullet for that purpose. Then you get as close to the best of both worlds in the 270 win.
I am shooting 170s in my savage 110, 270 wby but I built it for the heavies. Its shooting sub MOA with them.

Hope this helps,
Gene

I built a 270 win 30 1/2" barrel with a 1in8" twist as soon as the Matrix bullet hit the market. Come to find out my particular barrel did not like them as much. Tried the Nolser ABLR 150's same result. Tried some Speer BTSP 150's and shot around MOA. Then I tried a Berger 150 VLD and it went 1/2 MOA without much tinkering with the load. When the 170 EOL came out that was a must to try. The 170 EOL and 150 VLD accuracy in my particular rifle are almost identical in results. So just incase the 170 EOL fades out I'll still have a adequate replacement bullet. I would do it and I would go with the 1 in 8" twist barrel. The .277 has just scratched the surface of long range game but it will make a new splash given a few years.

My load is 56grs H4831 with the 170 EOL pushing it 2940fps.

So far I'm really impressed with the results. If a person was to build a 270STW or 270-300 I think it would be outstanding in the ballistics. I'm plenty happy with what my 270 win case is producing.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.