Anyone playing with Berger 170gr 277 bullets.

Bear cat

I'm considering a new long range hunting / target build. Looking to possibly do a 27 nosler or 270 wsm. Anyone using the 170gr Bergers in one a them yet?

I've got a friend that has a 28 nosler with 195's and its crazy awesome. Just possibly looking to do something different if it has good results, if not I'll just go with a 28.

I'm considering a new long range hunting / target build. Looking to possibly do a 27 nosler or 270 wsm. Anyone using the 170gr Bergers in one a them yet?

I've got a friend that has a 28 nosler with 195's and its crazy awesome. Just possibly looking to do something different if it has good results, if not I'll just go with a 28.

Look to about the last 20 pages of this thread http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/270-300-win-mag-now-feasible-155307/

it will give you some ideas...

So I just built a Model 70 .270 WSM. It has a PacNor barrel with a 1-8 twist and I gave them a dummy round with a COAL of 3.120. It is a single feed. I just got my McMillan stock so I haven't shot it yet. I do have a box of the Berger 170's, and also the Matrix 165's.
I'll let you know how it does with the load development. I wanted the same, something different but worthy.

Thanks fellas. That was a good read on the 270-300. Hope to hear great results from the wsm.

This was a psycho 3 shot group @ 3567fps with a 140gr Horn SST...Do not know if I can do much better...

Attachments

• 140 SST.jpg
    140 SST.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 110

Some load development with the 170s...getting there...

Attachments

• More Bergers.jpg
    More Bergers.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 100
Is there a reason that you want a short action? The 270 Wby was doing 3250+fps w/o any fireforming of brass with the 170 Berger...

Nope. I have a defiance long action with magnum bolt face and single feed. Was thinking of the wsm because of good barrel life and easy to find brass. Was thinking of a 27 nosler because the action and it'd be something different. I would only want to shoot heavy high bc bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.