Anyone know John Bredderman

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

$400? Yikes! My gunsmith charged me $250 (IIRC) for squaring my action, chambering, sand blasting, and installing a new barrel on my last project.

250 for a barrel install is a great price but I also assume you have worked with your Smith on a few projects and are probably being given a thank you discount for being a repeat shooter. I do discount my pricing for repeat shooters and I KNOW that with any business 85% of the revenues come from 15% of the customers. Repeat business should and IS rewarded with a discount. Just a way to say thanks to the shooter.

I had a very similar discussion with him. He warned me that he is not the cheapest. I looked over the quote and got 2 others. 1 from GAP and 1 from moon at crescent. Moon seems like a **** good guy and he answers the phone or calls back quickly. Anyway about 8 months from now I will have my crescent rifle. And for just a few bucks more than other 'smiths

I'm sure Moon at Cresent will do a GREAT job for you! I do not know the man personally but have heard good things about his work. The 8 month lead time is a bit long for a blueprinted Rem 700 build but like every custom build there may be certain features that will take time. A typical lead time for me with a blueprinted barreled action if all parts are on the bench is 3-6 weeks. Factor another 3-6 weeks for bedding and cerakote. That said - custom actions/bolts and custom stocks do take a bit longer to arrive on the bench. But I'm sure you'll have a great shooting rifle that looks amazing when the rifle arrives!! Happy shooting and let us know how she shoots! The man does do good work.

Buyer beware of any dealings with John Bredderman. He won't return calls, emails or texts, yet has the time to post new listings on Armslist and Gunbroker. Im prob screwed outve a rifle that I paid for in full... Ill wait another week before I go the legal route.

wow where to begin with this guy?!! Hes a work of art! We agreed on a build in the middle of Jan 2016. He needed the complete rifle finished by May 1st. He made a deposit and I ordered the barrel. The barrel hit my bench in middle of Feb. Then he asks me to send the bolt out to have some work done. Usually not a big deal... not sure what the other smith did but the bolt handle was pretty rough upon the return. Took pics and sent to txkaos... Didn't charge him to clean up the "work" that was done. The built went smoothly and as usual I send pics of progress and was in constant (weekly) communication with the man through out the build. That leads us to Thrs., 4-14-16 - early evening I called txkaos and let him know the rifle is finished and ready to ship. Says he will pay in the next few days. I leave town early am Fri. 4-15-16 and return late on 4-17-16... The man paid and FFL was sent over the weekend. Mon 4-18 in the *** crack am I packed the rifle and had another ship the rifle when the usps opend. I went into the machine shop around 7am and lecture at 8am. I didn't finish the Mon am lecture until approximately 11:15 am 4-18-16. I had 43 missed calls from guess who? txkaos... We didn't communicate for Fri; Sat; Sun; and spoke on the phone at approximately 11:40 am pacific time on Mon 4-18-2016. We didn't speak for 3.5 days NOT business days but calendar days. He expressed some concern and I told him during that conversation the rifle was dropped off by another at the post and confirm of tracking would be send via pic later that day. Not a big deal... I figured it was water under the bridge.

He finally got ahold of me after I did a name/phone number search, plus I contested the transaction thru paypal. I guess having paypal take money out've your account is one way to get someones attention. Anyways the rifle is on the way, should have it Friday. Thanks for your help in emails and confirming his ph #.

Well txkaos - let them know the FULL story before you bad mouth people. That said this is a man that called 43 times in a 4 hrs span because we didn't speak for 3.5 days. Well at about 2pm I got an alert from PayPal that a chunk of cash was removed... Txkaos filled a fraud report - PayPal said it was filled on 4-18-16 around 1:15 pm Pacific time. That would mean about an hour AFTER I told him the rifle was in the mail and proof would be sent later that day. Now who's out a rifle AND cash... I also notice that the time stamps on here coincide with 43 phone calls in 4 hours is pretty impressive!!! Oh also calling one's parents and accusing their son of being a thief and a few other choice names you left on my parents voice mail - that was clever... we didn't speak for 3.5 DAYS - what's wrong with you?!! With MY last name my relatives are real easy to find... lol. I know the rifle made it to you in 4 days - I DO hope the rifle shoots for you and I'm sorry you and I did not work. I offered you your money back on 4-18 during our 11:40 am phone call, but you said you wanted the rifle... I will stand behind my work. If you want your money back - PM me and I will set up a transfer for the rifle with you.

I have him working on a gun for me as well. I got a physical mailing address from him to mail a scope base to but he has gotten very out of touch lately. He used to send me a lot of emails with lots of info and pics of the build in progress but that all disappeared a few weeks ago.

I finally got paranoid about getting scammed so I called manufacturers and had them trace some serial numbers that were visible in pics, and the manufacture dates and specs all matched up.

I think this guy just has pretty godawful customer service. I've been trying to get ahold of him for weeks now with nothing, and he's sitting on no small amount of my build money. It got bad enough I've been googling his name and now I'm seeing you guys with the same concerns.

I'm not 100% sure what surt is having a problem with. The barreled action has been done for over 4 months while we waited for a 4/5 month lead on a custom stock. You hadn't decided on the stock until the barreled action was finished. That means we have to wait 4+ months JUST for a custom stock. Through out the entire metal portion of the build I sent as you say, numerous pics of the build and kept you up to date with progress. The metal work being finished - waiting 4+ months for a stock Im not sure what more I can do during the waiting period. 3/4 weeks of dead air when the stock is being made or waiting on parts is probably normal with most builders. If sending pics every step of the build and explaining whats going on and welcoming questions, is "godawful customer service" - well I would like to hear how I can improve your satisfaction of a custom built rifle.

Good Luck txkaos,
Keep us up to date on your situation. Could be something happened beyond the man's control, and he will square it away with you soon.
If it is something else, a "heads-up" to others on this Forum might be in order.

Thank you for the kind words... If you ever need a Wilson contoured barrel blank CM or SS let me know what caliber you want and I will give you a discount from the retail 160 per barrel for you staying neutral on this miscommunication with txkaos.

I just got a quote from him for several things all of which seemed reasonable, minus installing a barrel. He quoted $400 for barrel installation (not including the barrel). I cannot fathom why. When I asked about this, he simply said, "Maybe I need a cheaper gunsmith." That tells me everything I need to know. There are far to many very talented and professional gunsmiths out there that I would be happy to give my business too. Also without knowing anything about me he generally treated me as an novice.

Also not a major issue but rather than his name or business his emails come up as "Agent Smith," and the email was address is jbisbackintown not a major issue but seems rather unprofessional to me.

I'm not sure you and I were on the same page on the barrel install pricing. I charge 350 for a barrel install on most actions. That includes squaring/truing your action; lapping the lugs; threading; chambering; cut to length; crowning and lapping the crown. Blueprinting involves opening up the action tenon .010"; and recutting new threads; square and true actions lugs; the bolt lugs (front and back), face and nose are squared and trued. All work is dial indicated to .0001" and cut with a single point cutter. The 400 I quoted you for a bbl swap may have included the refinishing of the barreled action in a matte caustic blue. If there was a misunderstanding or a miscommunication I do apologize. Thank you for your honest answer and advise in regards to screen name. The best email is bookredsox at gmail. Feel to contact me there if prefered.

Thank you for the kind words... If you ever need a Wilson contoured barrel blank CM or SS let me know what caliber you want and I will give you a discount from the retail 160 per barrel for you staying neutral on this miscommunication with txkaos.

There is always 2 sides to a story - .

ALWAYS 2 sides to a story. Especially when money is involved, and someone feels he is being cheated. Some people feel that in today's "I want it yesterday" society, they should be able to e-mail something here and fax something there and I should get it tomorrow. It doesn't work like that.
I worked with a highly recommended gunsmith on my rifle rebuild, and at first communication he said it would take 8 to 10 weeks. It took longer than that due to weather delays (rifle stayed in Denver for three days at UPS). Coating took longer, due to man that does the coating had out of town business, gunsmith had trouble getting to range due to excessive snowfall (highways and range closed), etc etc etc. I was not happy- I wanted my new rifle back. I understood, and had to wait. I did not jump on the internet and trash no one, or even ask "ANYONE HEARD OF ....." ?
I finally got my rifle 5 months later, and love it. Excellent work and couldn't be happier.

If you want it fast Wal-Mart or Cabelas sells rifles too. If you want something special,
"Fine wine takes time"! So do fine guns.
My word of advice is if you want to have custom work done, don't wait, send it now. IF the man tells you it will take 6 months, then allow twice that and be happy If you get it sooner.

Too bad you couldn't order a custom rifle on amazon prime, I'm sure these guys would be all over that :)

Yep as soon as the smith got on this site to address the issue means he cares about his work and his name. All I can say is wow I own a small business and know how bad it can feel when someone trashes you and you know that you two were just not meant to work things out. That is some type of patients he has. Hell even if it was weeks with no info I wouldn't do that. Heck I've had several rifles built and never heard anything in months. Lol just this week was the first time I've heard from Kirby in half a year and that was cause I wasn't asking questions like usual. Back I dropped off a good chuck to pierce this spring and have not heard a peep since. This bothers me none cause both amazing smiths told me up front the time frame needed to get parts before the build could start. Heck Kirby has had multiple issues with supply that has put him 6 months to date behind on my two year build. Through emails I have assured him I will wait as long as it takes to get the fabeled .375 AM.
Glad you came here to let us know the other side of the story. If this is all accurate the poster is a *** in my book by calling family that crosses the line. I have a feeling he is disappointed in lots of things in life.

I have known John for a couple of years now. In that time I have had him build two rifles and I am picking up my third this week. So far I have been happy with the rifles he has built. John is a busy guy, and even still he has relatively quick turn around times, as long as you have all the parts already. If you do not, and order parts from him, there will delays just like any other custom rifle builder. He is a good guy and is very passionate about building rifles and has always stood behind his work. Give him a call, he will take care of you.

When I started this post I had talked to John a couple times in the phone. He told me straight up that he was not quick with a computer. I myself am no either. I also return calls when I have a chance. My wife and family come first. As far as the $$ goes I would say that he is inline for a good quality rifle. i honestly feel that I would have him build for me in the future. The talks we had led me to believe he really likes his rifles. I have also realized now that custom rifles take a lot of time. You have to pony up the payola and sit back and wait.

I would never bad mouth somebody's lively hood on the Internet. That's ******, and is hard to unsmear that **** stain. At least until I know for sure that I have been played. A lot of John and my agreements were verbal, so he did write up receipts and email them to me to help put my mind at ease. I do understand where this dude is coming from, there would be periods of time that I will not hear from John, I start freaking out, and he eventually gets back to me. So far, every time. I have been ripped off before, so I do tend to not trust somebody I have never met, especially over the Internet and when dealing with a very expensive rifle. He is very knowledgeable and seems passionate about what he does. He did seem to respond or answer the phone more in the beginning of the build, but has been working with me on an M24 SWS since last year, and has always sent photos and receipts of payments. We did have a disagreement about something, but that is between him and I, and is not something that should be blasted out to the world. The rifle is now finished, and last payment sent. I do have faith in John and his work, at least now if I don't get my rifle I know where to go lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.