Anyone in Pittsburgh area with Savage barrel swap tools?

Tarheelpwr

So, I got some quotes to install a barrel onto my action, and it's pushing $100 which seems a bit out of line to me. Anyone in the Pittsburgh area willing to swap a barrel for me and function test the rifle? I'm fine paying a fee, but for $100 I'll buy a vise, wrench, and learn how myself. Barrel is 7mm RUM.

So, I got some quotes to install a barrel onto my action, and it's pushing $100 which seems a bit out of line to me. Anyone in the Pittsburgh area willing to swap a barrel for me and function test the rifle? I'm fine paying a fee, but for $100 I'll buy a vise, wrench, and learn how myself. Barrel is 7mm RUM.

Most guys dont go into business to make other people happy.
Those that do usually dont last very long.
So its probably best you buy your own tools. Lots of free advice
on the Savage shooters forum.

Most guys dont go into business to make other people happy.
Those that do usually dont last very long.
So its probably best you buy your own tools. Lots of free advice
on the Savage shooters forum.

Thanks for the input, very helpful. I was just surprised that these locals charge $100 and most of the well known Savage smiths on the net charge $40-$50.

TarHeel, there is no free lunch. Have you stopped to ask yourself why there are so few gunsmiths in business servicing the pedestrian trade? People will go to their local Chevy dealer and pay $85/hr shop rates for oil changes and tires rotations but bulk at paying a gunsmith the same rate. Would you pay to maintain an FFL, open your doors to the FEDS for harassment, buy specialty tools and then have some customer complain about the cost of services? I put three years into the Pennsylvania Gunsmith School and opted not to engage the profession specifically because I could make more money with less hassle, in my chosen career path. You'll get guys like you and people with grandpa's 22 that needs a part manufactured that takes several hours of work and knowledge in heat treating complain about a $50 bill for service.

Pay the local guy, pay to ship to a cheaper source or buy the tools and do it yourself.

I did pay the local guy. Just figured I'd ask first. 3 hours just seems padded to me for a barrel install on a Savage, but maybe it's not.

It's better that you supported the local smith. You have the advantage of developing a relationship and he would be more accessible for support if you have problems. So, there is value added for the higher cost.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.