Swap: Fishing Trips for Range Time

megastink

I am relatively new to precision rifle shooting. Everything I know is self taught, and I could really use someone with a lot of experience to teach me the finer points of becoming a better shooter, With the goal to become comfortable and profession out to 1000 yards.

I'm not looking to compete in matches. I am a hunter who wants to become comfortable at taking game at range. I need someone to teach me better form, wind calls, And anything else you think I need to know. Ive only Ever shot out to 300 yards And I am satisfied with my performance at that distance. I don't have a membership anywhere.

In exchange for being my mentor, I volunteer to take you out bass fishing. I am an avid tournament angler and can put you on a good bite. I'm located in upper Bucks County in Southeastern PA.

Hope to hear from someone soon!

I am relatively new to precision rifle shooting. Everything I know is self taught, and I could really use someone with a lot of experience to teach me the finer points of becoming a better shooter, With the goal to become comfortable and profession out to 1000 yards.

I'm not looking to compete in matches. I am a hunter who wants to become comfortable at taking game at range. I need someone to teach me better form, wind calls, And anything else you think I need to know. Ive only Ever shot out to 300 yards And I am satisfied with my performance at that distance. I don't have a membership anywhere.

In exchange for being my mentor, I volunteer to take you out bass fishing. I am an avid tournament angler and can put you on a good bite. I'm located in upper Bucks County in Southeastern PA.

Hope to hear from someone soon!
I lived in Bucks Co for many years including 20 of them in the upper part. Have been living in FL for the last 20 where the fishing is better. lol
Also have been long range hunting in NC PA for about 50 years. If you want to talk about the subject call me. It's really not about precision frankly, it's about getting it done, and what you do and don't need in order to best accomplish it.
Rest assured you are probably a good enough shooter right now. 772 205 2158

Megastink, I live in Bucks County, if there's anything that I can help you with, let me know.

Living in upper Bucks County puts you within roughly 2 hours Of the 1000 yd range used by the Williamsport 1000 yd club.
It's actually north of Williamsport and north of Trout Run off rt 14 near Bodines.
I would strongly advise your going there on a match day just to observe and talk with the various shooters.
Realize that the majority of these guys are also long range hunters. You don't need to be a member there in order to shoot.
If you go, look for an old very fat man who gets around on a power scooter and who goes by name of Frank. He is a former world record group holder, who also hunts. His son Scott also a record holder, shoots there also and also hunts L/R.
Frank was one of my early mentors when i started L/R hunting seriously in the very early 70s. Mention the name i use here and he will know exactly who your talking about.
Ask questions like how does he and others actually hunt?
How does he and mostly all others shoot while L/R hunting in PA.? And why?
Ask how he goes about "reading" the wind when he shoots?
Ask how necessary it is for one to be an expert shot in order to be successful as a L/R hunter, and if not then why not?
How many very successful L/R hunters who hunt in the area he does, have never seriously shot competitively ?
It might be better to ask how many do? Lol
You might just find that some pre determined opinions you might have, aren't really as important as you might now think.

As for shooting, put some time into finding a good place to hunt L/R in a remote area, and you will have solved both problems. Coyote season is year round 7 days a week.

Living in upper Bucks County puts you within roughly 2 hours Of the 1000 yd range used by the Williamsport 1000 yd club.
It's actually north of Williamsport and north of Trout Run off rt 14 near Bodines.
I would strongly advise your going there on a match day just to observe and talk with the various shooters.
Realize that the majority of these guys are also long range hunters. You don't need to be a member there in order to shoot.
If you go, look for an old very fat man who gets around on a power scooter and who goes by name of Frank. He is a former world record group holder, who also hunts. His son Scott also a record holder, shoots there also and also hunts L/R.
Frank was one of my early mentors when i started L/R hunting seriously in the very early 70s. Mention the name i use here and he will know exactly who your talking about.
Ask questions like how does he and others actually hunt?
How does he and mostly all others shoot while L/R hunting in PA.? And why?
Ask how he goes about "reading" the wind when he shoots?
Ask how necessary it is for one to be an expert shot in order to be successful as a L/R hunter, and if not then why not?
How many very successful L/R hunters who hunt in the area he does, have never seriously shot competitively ?
It might be better to ask how many do? Lol
You might just find that some pre determined opinions you might have, aren't really as important as you might now think.

As for shooting, put some time into finding a good place to hunt L/R in a remote area, and you will have solved both problems. Coyote season is year round 7 days a week.

I've got some homework to do now! I will try to get out there. It's a good distance away and I've got two kids under 2. I was really hoping to find some land closer. University Rifle Club in Reading has a 600 yard range and is less than an hour. But they've got some funky times that the 400-600 benches aren't accessible. Hence why I'm looking for private land to shoot on. I thought of scouting the blue mountains, but then I'd have to consistently practice uphill and downhill l/r shooting, which I just don't have anywhere to practice shots at those angles.

I believe New Holland Rifle Club has a range out to 700yds. That is located at:
589 Meetinghouse Rd. Gap, PA 17527 Somewhere between you and Lancaster. Might be worth looking into if you want t. I think their membership is a lottery system.

Well megastink, as the old saying goes, we are most concerned over the things we know the least about. And in this situation, the things we have had little experience doing.
Fact is that if you and your equipment are capable of 1" or better groups at 100 yds, you will surprise yourself with the ability you now have at much longer distances. The old adage you will hear on some sites about practice practice practice are for the most part plain BS. Most of us reach a point in whatever we do where we level out as for ability.
In long range shooting that really doesn't take very long, assuming you already have good basics. Fact is the better shooters I've known over the many years I've been involved, including a few world record holders, were far down the list when it came to L/R hunting success. Remember that you don't need to have a small group to kill a deer at long range.
You need one shot that could hit a paper dinner plate, and odds are you can do that right now. Within about an hour you will be finding even smaller targets at 500 yds to be boring.
Bob Hart, of Hart Rifles in Nescopeck just up 309 from you gives L/R shooting classes. I personally don't think you need one, but it is an option. Another good source of information is Kevin Cram, Montour Rifles in Danville. He and the group he hunts with are very successfull hunting long range in PA.
After talking with all you can talk with, you will find that the most important item of equipment for successful L/R hunting, starts with very good tripod mounted binoculars. And they are also equally as important for long range rock shooting.
Very good doesn't necessarily also mean very expensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.