Anyone have any info on the hogue stocks?

boattailed bandit

Looking to replace my factory savage atock because its junk. Have it narrowed down to the choate tactical and the hogue overmold. Im on a budget. Would love to have a mcmillan. Anyways. Anybody have any info on the hogue stocks? Are they flimsy? I like that the choate stock is already pillard and will have some adjustability. But somthing about the hogue keeps making me consider it. Just wanting to see if anyone has any advice on this. Thanks.

They make some really nice stocks that seem pretty durable, I personally really like how they feel and they are pretty stiff the only downside I have found is that you'll need to find some sort of protectant to treat it with because when I sold guns I saw allot of them go back to the factory because they have issues with a lot of chemicals used for gun cleaning as well as in some bug sprays most notably any bug spray containing DEET has the effect of "melting" for lack of a better word the ruebberization, I heard of something that was supposed to be great that just sprayed on and you were good to go but I don't remember what it was, it does exist though so it shouldn't be to hard to find.

I have a Hogue Overmolded stock that came with my Howa 1500 30-06. I've only shot it to 600 yards, but it has preformed well.
I've beaded it, and removed material for a larger gap between barrel and stock.
It gets dirty fast; and grabs clothing when shouldering and whatnot.
I've shot over 3500 shots with it, the stock seems to be holding-up.

One thing that I don't like about it, the comb is too low. If I was to get an aftermarket stock, I'd get one with an adjustable comb.

I have them on two rifles. One has the bedding block and the other is piller bedded. I really like the feel of the stocks while hunting , they are not slippery when wearing gloves. I think they are good stocks for what they are. I would buy them again and will if the need arises.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.