Anyone familiar with elk in area 71 WY

wvhunter92

I'm heading to Wyoming for my first elk hunt. I will be hunting area 71 and was just curious if anyone could tell me what kinda bulls I should expect to see and what the elk population is like in that area. Any comments are appreciated.

What outfitter are you going with? They would be the best one to tell you what to expect on your hunt and the time on that lengthy season that you go will make a difference. You do know that you'll also need the Elk Feedground Special Management Permit besides your license and Conservation Stamp to hunt that unit don't you and that spikes are not allowed to be shot?

Last edited:
If you are lucky enough to be there when the elk are moving from Yellowstone to the Jackson feed ground you will have your pick of some really good bulls. Snow can trigger the move or cold weather but it will only last a few days till they are safe on the feed ground. Some elk can be there as resident elk but the migration time will be your best bet to get a nice bull.

I'm hunting with double diamond outfitters. This is the outfitters first year in area 71 he said I should see bulls from 270-350. But I just wanted to get some info from hunters like myself on the area. My hunt starts on September 20th.

I haven't hunted that area, but I've been through. If your outfitter can't find you an decent bull in that area, he needs to find another job.

I'm sure he'll do a lot of scouting before you get there.

I think you'll do great.

I would certainly second that comment from kraigwy! The rut should be in full swing and the bulls should be letting you know where they are. There isn't a better time to hunt elk IMHO than the last two weeks of September out there. Whenever we draw a bull tag we always get an archery permit and hunt the last two weeks of September and have a ball. Good luck and have a ton of fun out there. I guarantee you will up in that country!!!

Thanks for the comments. Really gets my blood pumping thinking about it. I'm ready to put one down with my new 338 edge. been killing every rock on my farm for the past 2 months everywhere from 100-1300 yards. I've never seen an elk in the wild so I'm sure it won't take much to excite me. Hopefully ill have some pics and a story to post when I get back.

Once you hear a few bugles and get elk fever you will start hearing them in your sleep. It is a great time of year.

Have a great hunt! I haven't hunted 71 in a few years, but I used to hunt it at the end of the season trying to catch the migration coming out of Yellowstone. Elk numbers are down from where they used to be, but there are still enough to have a good hunt. BE CAREFUL OF GRIZZLY BEARS, especially with a guide that is new to the area. Be extra careful after you have an elk on the ground. Glad you have a 338. Have fun.

I hunt that area as well...lots of grid.. I walked out of my sleeping tent to find one 50 yards away...on that trip my dad killed a 320..I passes a rag horn and we prob saw 15 dif griz...we named a point griz point after seeing so many from it

My hunt was a huge success.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 335
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.