Anybody used a Bartlein barrel yet??

James Jones

I'm lookinng to get a couple new barrels ordered and was wanting the 5R rifled bore , Bartlein makes them and their price is good , their quoted wait time is the same as everybody else. I talked to one of the guys for a bit yesterday and he seemed comfident that their barrels were as good or better than everybody elses , but that what they all say.

I like RockCreek but I'm a little leary of ordering with them as I've heard that they have some trouble lately getting their barrels out anywhere close to the promised time , also that the last few they have sent out were realy soft. Any of you guys gotten any barrels from they with no trouble??

What about ABS , have they started turing out any of their barrels again?

Several months ago I spoke with Greg Tannel (Gre-Tan Rifles) about barrel makers and he is now putting Bartlein's in his top choices.

Talk to Frank at Bartlein. He runs the shop and has got his stuff together. Frank left Krieger with a couple of guys and helped in starting Bartlein. We've built 1 6mmBR with one of their barrels and it's a shooter. With Franks background, Bartlein is definitely top shelf.

Iv'e got two of them in the shop right now, just finished a 6.5-284
I haven't tested it yet. Second barrel is 6-284.
They both look real nice.

Dave

yep they flute , I'm in the process of talking to Frank about that right now , 6 - 1/4" flutes cost $125

I have one on a 22-243 5r 8 twist shoots .25 moa at 300 in good conditions me and the weather. It cleans real fast , broke in fast no fouling at all.

I still haven't gotten a barrel from them, yet, but one of the Bartlein brothers did a paint job on my ANschutz center grip. I wanted it to look like the American flag. I'm still planning on stopping by and check out their shop.
anschutz.jpg

100_1049.jpg

I tried a couple and the results were not good on one of my competition rifles---went back to Krieger... My Smith was not real impressed with them after he scoped both of them and neither was I but gave Frank a shot even if the tubes were 4 months late...

I have only used one. It is on my 7ultra right now. Its is one of the best "feeling" barrels I have worked with. The metal cut beautifully. Never fouled from shot one. I came with a darn near polished finish. That being said it is nominal on size. Bullets I have had great luck with(same lots) have to be popped harder to fill out the grooves to get the same accuracy. I have 250 rounds through her and have lost about .015 in throat. Crazy. Super fast. I cant get up to 3400 with 176s before getting real pressure signs. Its 28in. I cant explain it. I have never got that speed out of any other ultra before. I keep her down at 3200. Still should be hot. The sizer just falls over her and soft primers? Not the most accurate gun I have put together but will hold 1moa out to a mile. Oh well.

Jason

When yopu say your like the way the barrel cut do you mean that it cut soft? , I have cut a few Shilen barrels and you can tell they are softer than a Krieger or Lilja , and I have cut a couple Pac-Nor SS barrels , one cut like CM and the other cut like lead !!

Bartlien

Bought one last year, chambered in 30BR; shot extremely well. Took about 200 rounds before I found any fouling at all. But, there are many good barrels out there. More important is having a first class chambering job.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.