Anybody tried Duracoat?

I read the thread on cerakote (I am also a fan) and was wondering if anyone had tried the Duracoat product. It seems to be available in many more colors than cerakote. I am starting a 1911 project and interested in applying the finish myself, but have no experiance with the duracoat product.

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject!

Phillip

I have duracoated many a firearm. I recently did a small finishing nail hammer too (had some extra Duracoat left over). It is great stuff but you have to be careful with surface preparation. I media blast everything that is not hardcoat anodized or parkerized. Their new SL additives are really nice but they do come out a little glossier than the standard colors. I have had the typical finishing issues involved with any DIY product but attribute most of it to surface prep issues or not mixing it right (don't ask). I would definitely recommend it to try.

Thanks for your reply, any info on the subject is appreciated. Do you know if the final finish is thin and hard enough for parts such as the underside of the slide, slide rails (wearing surface's). I expect normal wear and tear on a finish with use.

I think a trial project is in order while I work on the 1911, maybe my dogs stainless steel bowl, it sees hard use!

I'll post some photo's when complete... I'll spare you the ones of the dogs bowl!

Phillip

I have done a couple pistol slides with duracoat and have had mixed results. Ususally the rail areas will "break-in" with the duracoat. The reason I have had mixed results is the last slide I did, for a Glock 34, I media blasted, duracoated, and then proceeded to oil said slide with Gunzilla. The Gunzilla, which is fantastic stuff by the way, lifted the duracoat from the surface mostly around the front of the muzzle, the ejection port area, the front of the slide rails. I contribute this issue to a couple things. First, prep. The prep job wasn't fantastic. I had this slide duracoated in a blue before and it held up great, until I got sand stuck between it and it's kydex holster. The duracoat lost that battle. Instead of just scuffing the surface, I blasted it. I did it outside at work instead of my blast cabinet at home. Dumb mistake. I degreased everything, it looked okay, and proceeded to spray it. It came out great. I let it sit for a day, put on the sights, didn't affect the Duracoat at all so I figured I would just oil it up and go. Once I started shooting and the duracoat started wearing in, it got down to the metal and the gunzilla started lifting the duracoat. I haven't had it happen before or since. But that is my bad story with duracoat. I definitely take a lot more care now with prep, mixing, and letting it cure properly afterwards. Have not had a problem since.

Thank you all for your input. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. I think I will also try the cerakote air dry (oven bake?).

Phillip

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.