Anybody own a Bergara ridge?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103481
  • Start date
We sold Bergara's, we brought in a batch of 3 and were impressed. They had test targets with good results and lovely smooth actions. I was looking for a deer rifle at the time so ordered one in 30.06. When it arrived the test target was not that good, so we bore scoped the barrel it was as rough as a bears butt. That was sent back, since then a friend purchased one and couldn't get neck sized loads to chamber reliably, we chucked it in a lathe and put a DTI on the chamber, it was well out. But other people have them and swear by them, I guess it's a case of you pay your money and take you chances

I guess I am one of the lucky ones because I have one in 6.5mm CM that I bought for my wife and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. In fact, it's probably the most accurate rifle in the house because I shot (3) 4 round groups under 0.5 inches with the best being 0.38 inch using Hornady ELD when sighting in her scope. I just went and looked at all the casings and I couldn't find any with pierced primers but all I've shot out of it so far has been the ELD's.

I was going to purchase a Remington 700 for her but the two I examined at my LGS both had issues. The 700 Magpul barrel was actually touching the Magpul stock near the end of the stock and the action on the 700 SPS Tactical felt very rough. Anyhow, I've been so impressed with the Ridge that I'm considering getting the Bergara HMR in 7mm RM for myself.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones because I have one in 6.5mm CM that I bought for my wife and I haven't had any issues whatsoever. In fact, it's probably the most accurate rifle in the house because I shot (3) 4 round groups under 0.5 inches with the best being 0.38 inch using Hornady ELD when sighting in her scope. I just went and looked at all the casings and I couldn't find any with pierced primers but all I've shot out of it so far has been the ELD's.

I was going to purchase a Remington 700 for her but the two I examined at my LGS both had issues. The 700 Magpul barrel was actually touching the Magpul stock near the end of the stock and the action on the 700 SPS Tactical felt very rough. Anyhow, I've been so impressed with the Ridge that I'm considering getting the Bergara HMR in 7mm RM for myself.

I have had 1 pierced primer in 400 rounds. Which I just chalked up to a bad primer until I read this post.

Apparently the largest firing pin issues are in 6.5 CM models when people use small primers. Which is exactly what I had planned to use.

C2FD8A1D-7920-4B79-9105-C45DAA0B505F.jpeg
My hunting partner just bought one a few weeks ago in 270. So far no issues. I have the HMR in 6.5 Creedmore I did have an issue with closing the bolt on random neck sized loads. But not on FL loads. Bumped shoulder an additional thousands no problems. I have since been FL everything. It is very accurate though. This is a 4 shot group at 100yds. measured .257 I'm gonna stretch it out this weekend. No primer problems but I use large rifle cci BR 2.

My hunting partner just bought one a few weeks ago in 270. So far no issues. I have the HMR in 6.5 Creedmore I did have an issue with closing the bolt on random neck sized loads. But not on FL loads. Bumped shoulder an additional thousands no problems. I have since been FL everything. It is very accurate though. This is a 4 shot group at 100yds. measured .257 I'm gonna stretch it out this weekend. No primer problems but I use large rifle cci BR 2.

I'd say that group was a winner! If I were to have issues with it piercing primers I would just send it to Bergara and have them correct the issue.

Apparently the largest firing pin issues are in 6.5 CM models when people use small primers. Which is exactly what I had planned to use.

Good Morning,

We do not recommend shooting handloads as it voids our warranty. However the latest B14s are shipping with a smaller diameter firing pin and the shroud issue has been solved on all new models.

Thanks,

Email from Bergara, FYI I emailed at 5pm ish and they responded 6:47 am. Not bad, here's to hoping for smooth sailing.

Good Morning,

We do not recommend shooting handloads as it voids our warranty. However the latest B14s are shipping with a smaller diameter firing pin and the shroud issue has been solved on all new models.

Thanks,

Email from Bergara, FYI I emailed at 5pm ish and they responded 6:47 am. Not bad, here's to hoping for smooth sailing.
Hand loads voids warranty, seriously!

Sure, then just say "no" when they ask. Problem solved. Not to mention they did replace people's bolt shrouds even after getting confirmation of reloading and using small primers, so they still honored the warranty and then fixed the problem that was presented by reloading.

If this rifle sucks I'll preach it loud and clear, but I see the legal jargon as a non issue.

I have an 6.5 creedmoor hmr had couple issues wouldn't eject so they sent me new ejecter springs and detent ball and extracter and spring. They also sent me a new bolt shroud even though mine didn't have any issues. Now I did have an issue was getting gouged up brass. Sent it in they found a burr in the bolt lug locking area on the action they cleaned it up test fired sent it back and it has been good since. There customer service is awesome and they take care of the customer if there is issues. I think there is more guns out there without issues then with.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.