Anybody deal with Mossberg ATR 100 rifle

James Jones

I have one of these at the house to be fitted into a wood stock for a buddy , its the first one I've seen in person and it appears to be ALOT like the Savage action and looks like a barrel nut setup like the Savage but with a differant nut shape.

Just wondering if anybody has messed with one or know whats involver with rebarreling one as he wants to add a bigger barrel to it.

There was a discussion about this on another forum as someone was considering doing a barrel swap on one. I've never had one in my hands but my understanding is they even use the same thread and pitch on the barrel as a Savage. I'm not sure a Savage barrel wouldn't be a drop in fit.

James,

I just drug one home this evening.

The owner ia all excited about shooting something with it.

As you said it kind of like a Savage but a little nifter with smaller recoil lugs.

The tupperware stock seems stiff enough and it seems put together pretty well.

My first observation was that the bolt head doesn't seem very robust, but I haven't measured anything yet. I'll break it
down tomorrow and see what it's made of.

Its a 270 Winnie. I'm interested in how well it will make a 450 yard gun.

BTW, that Savage action made quite a shooter in 7mm Rem. I have a 140 gr Hornady just loafing along but it'll do for what it's intended.

Did you do anything to the trigger? Its the sweetest one on the rack at the moment. Pretty amazing!!

@100 yards my 100ATR in 270 drives tacks with barnes bullets 130. I'm trying the hornady interlocks soon, but doubt they can be any better than the barnes. Factory ammo win powerpoints, I was about 1.5 inches@100, not bad, about what I expected. All in all, for 300 bucks, its a darn fine hunting rifle, but dont neglect its shooting abilities too.

I have purchased one of the ATRs in a 308. Great price with bi pod and scope. but when I took it to the range, I was greatly disappointed. This rifle kicked like a 300 weatherby mag. I couldn't get any kind of a group. I am prior service and own all kinds of guns but this one went back with a smile. Now on the other hand I purchased a Mossberg 4x4 30-06 and it ranks up there with me as one of the best weapons you can purchase for the money.

I have one in a 3006 and it dosent kick hardly at all. and i killed a muley at 436 yards one shot dropped with box winchester bullets i like the gun for the price. it started off as a project gun but ended up shooting very well so i left if

I bought a new one of few years ago in 270Win and it didn't seem to want to shoot very well with my hand loaded ammo so I free floated the barrel and saw a little improvement, then I hand lapped the bore which put it a MOA all day any day. I would have kept the rifle and used it but I couldn't live with the horrible trigger and since nobody made an after market adjustable one I sold the rifle with scope and should have kept the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.