Any recommended gun safes? Liberty Revere 72 vs Cannon Wide Body 64??

Lot of good points made so far. Sports Afield safes are made by Cannon. I literally spent a couple years researching this subject before I finally made bought one. You'd be surprised how many of these safes are pretty much worthless. You get what you pay for on these. Just being realistic here, there's alot to think about here. All depends on what your priorities are. Biggest misconception IMO is the fire ratings. Unless you live in town 2 blocks away from a fire station, 30 minutes is more like a response time. Also most house fires reach temps way above 1200 degrees if fully engulfed. Another thought on that is your insurance. Unless you have the extra writers on your policy listing everything you have with serial #'s, which most of us don't because we don't want anyone knowing all that, they may not cover those losses. As far as security, IMO I think they all provide some level of it really. Yes there are cases where a crew of thieves will get into one or take the whole thing but most home invaders probably don't want to stick around long enough to spend much time trying to cut or pry one open. They want to get in and get out quick. Just my 2 cents worth.

Lot of good points made so far. Sports Afield safes are made by Cannon. I literally spent a couple years researching this subject before I finally made bought one. You'd be surprised how many of these safes are pretty much worthless. You get what you pay for on these. Just being realistic here, there's alot to think about here. All depends on what your priorities are. Biggest misconception IMO is the fire ratings. Unless you live in town 2 blocks away from a fire station, 30 minutes is more like a response time. Also most house fires reach temps way above 1200 degrees if fully engulfed. Another thought on that is your insurance. Unless you have the extra writers on your policy listing everything you have with serial #'s, which most of us don't because we don't want anyone knowing all that, they may not cover those losses. As far as security, IMO I think they all provide some level of it really. Yes there are cases where a crew of thieves will get into one or take the whole thing but most home invaders probably don't want to stick around long enough to spend much time trying to cut or pry one open. They want to get in and get out quick. Just my 2 cents worth.
Great point on all of those. From what everyone is saying on here, it likely is one of those things were everything below $1,500 will probably all serve about the same purposes - whereas some of those Browning's and other for $3k or more will provide actual fire protection and likely are more burglar proof. My wife and I do plan on getting some type of security system for when we are not home, so odds are they aren't going to hang around long enough to mess with it while that is going off lol.

I do want to watch some YouTube video's though just out of curiosity

Buy bigger than you think you need, and even bigger than that.
Removing bolts from rifles gets you more room to stack them next to each other. Just don't forget the bolt when taking a rifle to the range or hunting.
Follow the instructions and bolt the safe to the floor if you really want to make them difficult to break into.

Not sure if it was mentioned but ............

The number of rifles that will fit in ANY safe, including my Brownings, is exactly HALF of the claimed number of firearms that they tell you. A 30 gun safe will hold a maximum of 15 scoped rifles and you may need some lubricant to get them all in there. 30 broomsticks and/or handguns may fit but definitely not scoped longguns.

Bolting a safe to the wall and floor is a wise precaution because it makes it harder to access the back of the safe. The back is the easiest place to cut into a safe for a determined and knowledgeable thief.

Last edited:
Not sure if it was mentioned but ............

The number of rifles that will fit in ANY safe, including my Brownings, is exactly HALF of the claimed number of firearms that they tell you. A 30 gun safe will hold a maximum of 15 scoped rifles and you may need some lubricant to get them all in there. 30 broomsticks and/or handguns may fit but definitely not scoped longguns.

Bolting a safe to the wall and floor is an extra precaution because it makes it harder to access the back of the safe. The back is the easiest place to cut into a safe for a determined and knowledgeable thief.
Yep that is what I was figuring. Even less than that if you leave the shelfs in on one side to store other hunting / reloading components.

I didn't plan on bolting it down, but now that you mention that, it might not be a bad idea

The Sam's Club thing was a unique deal. I have never seen them there before or after. I agree with the majority of the comments here. I definitely agree with the multiple safe idea. These things are so heavy and in my last move I just about left it at our previous house. The one thing I really want is a safe that allows me to access rifles without taking everyone in front of it out to get to it. I've seen some sliding racks that would be nice, but they are usually in the larger $10k safes.

Yep that is what I was figuring. Even less than that if you leave the shelfs in on one side to store other hunting / reloading components.

I didn't plan on bolting it down, but now that you mention that, it might not be a bad idea
One negative to bolting the safe to the floor is that if the crooks use a crowbar they now have a solid platform to pry the door open versus if the safe is not bolted down and they try to pry the door the safe tends to move not giving them full leverage.

One negative to bolting the safe to the floor is that if the crooks use a crowbar they now have a solid platform to pry the door open versus if the safe is not bolted down and they try to pry the door the safe tends to move not giving them full leverage.
It's a lot harder to hold a crowbar up in the air and put pressure on a door than to do it when it's on the floor.
Remember, they don't want to take much time to do this, so if they can't knock it over to do it the easy way they'll probably move on.

If you watch the YouTube videos on gun safe entering, the vast majority show them tipping the safe over first.

The residential storage cabinets are really just designed to keep out crack heads. I imagine many people on this forum have a torch, pry bar, and angle grinder in their house.

The best deals that I've seen are the double width ones at Academy Sports when they run a sale, same for Tractor Supply.

I take out the racks and store the rifles in socks or soft bags. You can flip them upside down to double space.

You should replace the digital lock at the first sign of an issue; having to punch in your code more than once. I have a buddy that needed to have his drilled (luckily under warranty).

And you can buy a replacement combo lock to replace one of those electronic ones. It was about $75 and I did it myself.

The residential storage cabinets are really just designed to keep out crack heads. I imagine many people on this forum have a torch, pry bar, and angle grinder in their house.

The best deals that I've seen are the double width ones at Academy Sports when they run a sale, same for Tractor Supply.

I take out the racks and store the rifles in socks or soft bags. You can flip them upside down to double space.

You should replace the digital lock at the first sign of an issue; having to punch in your code more than once. I have a buddy that needed to have his drilled (luckily under warranty).

And you can buy a replacement combo lock to replace one of those electronic ones. It was about $75 and I did it myself.
Correct - I feel most people on here could break into a safe if they really wanted. The average petty criminal on the other hand, not so much. I never thought about Academy Sports, I will have to look into them. Tractor Supply is one of the few places around me that carried them in stock. Most places don't even like to ship them

From Experience, expect to store less than half the scoped rifles than advertised. For example, I can only store 30 rifles in my Cannon 64. Just because they cut 64 slots, does not mean you can store 64 guns

Correct - I feel most people on here could break into a safe if they really wanted. The average petty criminal on the other hand, not so much. I never thought about Academy Sports, I will have to look into them. Tractor Supply is one of the few places around me that carried them in stock. Most places don't even like to ship them
I've moved quite a few for myself and with friends. The 600-700lb 5ft tall ones are pretty easy to move with two big guys. You just put down cardboard on a low trailer and lay them on their back side. You can use a refrigerator dolly in the house.

For a real safe you can rent a safe dolly, they are much harder to slide but still work. We also used a bunch of golf balls underneath.