Any Interest in Reloading Services?

Don't want to discourage you but I don't think there would be much profit to be made in this. The insurance needed for full ammo reload, I believe, would make it hard to make a profit this way and case prep is long and tedious . If I were to add all the hours up that I do reloading and put a price on it, I believe I would be better off using factory loads. JMO
Exactly, along with the liability. I happen to reload for a couple hunting partners but that is it and I'd never consider reloading or case prep for a business. The liability insurance alone would make that prohibitive cost wise.
This is exactly the input I am looking for. I tend to be super optimistic about things and I need people to tell me the downsides! Haha. I agree that the insurance cost could become an issue. As with the process being long and tedious, I agree, but I also enjoy it.

Maybe in a local area you can do a load development get it shooting sub MOA and verify long range for them. People pay for that. Lot of people don't have time to load develop and verify long range drops for their LR rifle

You need a federal license to manufacture and sell ammo, reloading someones brass is manufacturing ammo for sale. It can be done but not cost effective to you given federal,state, and city licenses and insurance.The brass prep would be the more realistic of the two if you can find a market and meet the price point and still make a profit.

You need a federal license to manufacture and sell ammo, reloading someones brass is manufacturing ammo for sale. It can be done but not cost effective to you given federal,state, and city licenses and insurance.The brass prep would be the more realistic of the two if you can find a market and meet the price point and still make a profit.

Exactily what I had in mind. I have been reloading for 40 some years, but not for others. Reloading for others makes you a manufacturer. You need local, State and Federal licenses. A simple FFL will not do. Also some local jurisdictions require a mercantile license.
If your only service is annealing, you might get away without all these licenses, call BATF and ask. As a former claims liability supervisor and manager, I can tell you this: If your only service is annealing, and an accident occurred, you will be sued along with others who participate in the reloading process. You might eventually be found not guilty, but without insurance, who will pay your lawyer's costs to defend you? These can amount to many big bucks. When you are insured, your carrier will bear those costs. Bottom line: IT AINT WORTH IT.

I am thinking about starting a side business offering a couple of reloading services that some of you may either not like or don't have time for. The first service would be brass prep and the second service would be full (re)loading to your specs.

My steps for the fired brass prep process would be:
Step 1. Remove Spent Primer
Step 2. Tumble Clean
Step 3. Anneal With AMP Mark II (1 Piece of Brass Will Be Sacrificed)
Step 4. Standard FL Resize with No Expander
Step 5. Tumble Clean to Remove Lube
Step 6. Trim and Clean Primer Pocket
Step 7. Imperial Dry Lube Neck
Step 8. Expand Neck with Sinclair Expander Die

My steps for the full reloading would be the same steps for prepping plus priming, charging, and seating the bullet all to your specifications.

As far as pricing, it would have to be worth my time and it probably only makes sense cost wise to do it for the high quality brass. I was thinking like $0.60 per piece for prep and component cost + $0.80 per round loaded. I suppose if someone only wanted decapping, tumbling, and annealing I could do that too.

Basically, I just need to know if there is any interest for any of this. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

John

I don't know the name of the company, however I do know that there is a company who does annealing using the AMP Mark II method. There's also a company that does custom reloading on the web as well. I can tell you that the club I belong to carries $8 million dollars of personal injury insurance just due to reloads being shot on the ranges. And......anyone who uses the ranges has to sign a liability waiver before they can even walk on the premises. There was an incident at another club where there was a catastrophic episode with a shotgun due to reloads where a bystander received a serious brain injury that cost that club a very large amount of money. I suggest that you dot all of your "I's" and cross your "Ts" with this venture.

I am thinking about starting a side business offering a couple of reloading services that some of you may either not like or don't have time for. The first service would be brass prep and the second service would be full (re)loading to your specs.

My steps for the fired brass prep process would be:
Step 1. Remove Spent Primer
Step 2. Tumble Clean
Step 3. Anneal With AMP Mark II (1 Piece of Brass Will Be Sacrificed)
Step 4. Standard FL Resize with No Expander
Step 5. Tumble Clean to Remove Lube
Step 6. Trim and Clean Primer Pocket
Step 7. Imperial Dry Lube Neck
Step 8. Expand Neck with Sinclair Expander Die

My steps for the full reloading would be the same steps for prepping plus priming, charging, and seating the bullet all to your specifications.

As far as pricing, it would have to be worth my time and it probably only makes sense cost wise to do it for the high quality brass. I was thinking like $0.60 per piece for prep and component cost + $0.80 per round loaded. I suppose if someone only wanted decapping, tumbling, and annealing I could do that too.

Basically, I just need to know if there is any interest for any of this. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

John
If you were local I would gladly work with you and probably give you tons of brass.
I do not reload so I currently proudly give all of my used brass to an American retired Afghan Soldier.
Good luck with your endeavor. I personally think that you are onto something.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.